1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nicky Morgan's two options for teachers

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Mar 26, 2016.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

...which apparently are:
    1. Accept that all schools are going to become academies, because she has no plans to back down, or
    2. "Do down the status of the profession" by fighting the move.
    Seems she has overlooked the option which is foremost in many teachers' minds:
    1. Leave the profession altogether.

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Academisation isn't an end in itself... what happens when an Academy is underperforming?

Ah they get taken over by an Academy chain... a MAT as all the trendy kids call them.

And if they still underperform? Then they get swapped to a different MAT.

But if that underperforms? ...

... then we bring in the rigour of the market... that'll solve the problem.

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

The only people doing down the status of teaching are in the government, making it more likely that children will be taught by unqualified or poorly qualified staff.

cissy3, Mangleworzle, wanet and 3 others like this.
  4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

They're going to love her at the NASUWT conference. Hope she has a flak-jacket.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Anyone standing up and fighting for education... ah you're doing down the profession.

Anyone standing up and fighting for medicine... ah you're doing down the profession.

It's just a big book of spin to feed the public.

xandrahuk, cissy3, wanet and 3 others like this.
  6. 2468motorway

2468motorway New commenter

Where are they?
    Plenty of them - almost all in fact.

7. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

She's only speaking at conference so they can get shots of the evil, militant unions booing her.

8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Nail on the head there, Flere.

Picking fights with medics. Now with teachers. Make us look unreasonable.

Where is the 'weeping' icon when you need it?

xandrahuk, wanet and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Certainly what I would be doing, walking away with great regret but for my own sanity. In fact as of Fri I did!

However my concern is for all the children and students caught up in the system. A whole generation or even future generations.
    What is going to happen to the education system in this country?

InkyP, wanet, chelsea2 and 1 other person like this.
  10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Hardly a very reliable study, but the comments I've read in the DM online following an article on a potential teachers's strike were very different from the ones about the junior doctors's strike. Sympathy for the doctors as they can do no wrong. Teachers? Very different view.

11. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

It will be Phuket!

12. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

In earlier, less civilised, times she might have been pictured dodging eggs or flour.........

I sometimes miss the old days :(

13. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

"The teaching unions have a choice - spend the next four years doing battle with us and doing down the profession they represent in the process, or stepping up, seizing the opportunities and promise offered by the White Paper and helping us to shape the future of the education system."
    I'm game, Nicky. Just what are these opportunities and the promise offered by the white paper? Apart from the opportunities for head teachers to get rid of inconvenient and expensive members of staff and replace them with cheap, unqualified baby-sitters, that is.
    Incidentally, I have just been asked to take over the classes of two inexperienced members of staff to ensure that the results hit target. Who will do this when I have been driven out?
    I really thought that no one person would irritate me more than Gove, but Nicky seems to be proving me wrong.

cissy3 likes this.
  14. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

Four years of war? I'm in. I've been in for ages.
    I'm off to the shop for popcorn. She hasn't got the guts to speak at the NUT, and I think she thinks she'll get an easy ride today.
    I really hope they don't give her one.

ValentinoRossi, wanet and RedQuilt like this.
  15. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

The thing is, I do believe Gove acted from real ideological motives - he genuinely believed what he was saying & doing (although he was wrong!). But Morgan hasn't a clue; she's just flailing around in the mire which education has now become coming out with random pronouncements which will further fragment & destroy the English education system.

wanet likes this.
  16. emilystrange

But that's what they want...

17. 2468motorway

The NASUWT are the mildest of all teaching unions. She will get a very easy ride.

18. emilystrange

I've seen a few comment on FB saying that people will leave that union if they just roll over today

19. 2468motorway

Their leader Keates is very weak. She looks and talks like SMT. Action short of strike action must have government rolling on the floor laughing.

20. indusant

indusant Senior commenter

NM keeps trotting out that 'headteachers and teachers are best to run schools', so they need to become academies to give them that power.

But it seems there is overwhelming opposition from teachers and headteachers against turning all schools in to academies. She is simply not listening to the very people who she herself has said know best.

NM on Question Time:

NM: We believe the people who are best capable of running schools are the Heads, the teachers and the governors...

DD: And if they say they don't want to become academies?

NM: Well we do want all schools to become academies...

It's not even an argument. It's a pigheaded inability and unwillingness to look facts in the face.

cally1980, InkyP, cissy3 and 2 others like this.