1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nicky Morgan's first sensible statement .....

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Twinklefoottoe, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Twinklefoottoe

Twinklefoottoe Senior commenter

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Has she said:

'I resign'?

sabrinakat likes this.
  3. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Qualifications for 16 year olds don't make any sense, except for purposes of snobbery and middle class angst about "where their children are" (on the superiority scale, that is). 16 is too young to have a job that requires qualifications - apart from numeracy and literacy.

monicabilongame likes this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Did she scrap Ofsted?

No...

What's that? She complained about the Labour party policies after being in power since 2010? Well damn it I'm going to moan about Napoleon to the French Embassy.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It does tend to be a trait particularly beloved of Tory politicians in government - to blame their predecessors for long enough for it to look embarrassing for the Tories themselves.

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Does anyone know where the comparisons are for standards in say English and Maths(assuming these are the two core areas) for over the years.
    Have standards declined or risen or is it more goal posts have been moved to booster or lower what actually happened?
    i often wonder if governments argue sets of figures distributed to prove their points( a bit like Orwellian politic speak where history was written to suit the event rather than the truth?)
    As an example teachers are often blamed for failing..yet are we comparing like for like.I let school post WW" yet I do not see my education as poor.even without the innovation of many modern ideas and methods. Are children less able or just required to know more,are the skills in sufficient or similar but they re judged differently.
    Elite teachers in my mind are those who can get over a body of learning in ways that is understandable to those they teach it to......anything less and we are not doing our job....if i makes the learner want to learn and understand more that even better.

7. oldsomeman

As long as you realise that failings in a past government,of whatever hue, also need to be analyzed and learnt from. if Labour ever got in then they would do the same.....

8. Middlemarch

Oh, they do - but the Tories bang on about it for far longer. I recall back in the late 80s, when Thatcher had been in for almost ten years, some comedy sketch show (possibly 'Not the nine o'clock news') satirising this by having a Tory politician saying "Well, we've done better than Atilla the Hun ever did!"

sabrinakat likes this.
  9. Middlemarch

I'd also be pleased to see governments looking back at their own party's previous record in government - but what we get (and I'm thinking especially of the present government's education policies) is as if the years from 1981-1997 never happened.

sabrinakat likes this.
  10. oldsomeman

Orwellian re write me thinks.......history doesn't have a history might be a retort.
    Yet history is curricular and if you don't learn the lessons of the past you find the same mistakes return time and time again.

11. Treefayre2

Treefayre2 Established commenter

It was New Labour who set the real rot in during the nineties - complete ***** who conned the teaching unions and destroyed any remaining hope the teaching profession had.

Blair is a complete ****!

12. Middlemarch

Tories invented Ofsted - with the famous "15000 incompetent teachers" statement that set in train the trashing of the profession - and the national curriculum.

needabreak and Lascarina like this.
  13. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

But the most important factor is that this is what the public wanted so it became necessary for every govt since to try to out do the previous one.

14. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

I don't find Nicky Morgan's speech sensible at all. It is simple politicking as has been said. It says nothing new and I find it ironic that a Tory complains of elitism regarding Labour parents. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

As far as OFSTED is concerned: Chris Woodhead the first chief was fond of saying that: "all he was doing was holding a mirror up to the teaching profession"

My riposte is that he never learned the difference between, simply holding a mirror up, and bashing someone over the head with it instead.

needabreak likes this.
  15. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Straw man arguments from NM. Yes some kids did study skills as PART of their curriculum, because they needed it. How many kids actually did nail technology as a significant part of KS4? I've not come across many. It probably motivated some reluctant participants.
    I'm guessing that a fair few people earn part of their living through doing nails - more nail techs than professional historians perhaps?
    I might have agreed with her about the loss of rigour at GCSE, but she didn't talk about that can of worms.

16. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Occasional commenter

Credit where credit is due.

My memory tells me clearly that this loathsome phrase was a world intellectual exclusive by the nubile Bristol VIth formers' favourite teacher; the late and frankly unlamented chrisWoodhead.

17. Middlemarch

Of course - but Woodhead created Ofsted in his own image and nothing has since changed.