1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nicky Morgan and her upper pay scale ideas.

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Yoda-, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

2. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Heard about this a while back.

Allows heads to bully those UPS teachers a bit more then.

3. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Are there any other sectors or industries where this happens? I can't think of any :confused:.

I honestly can't think of one positive thing that would result from her proposal.

4. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

You can be demoted in the Army

5. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

For any reason or just disciplinary?

6. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

I wonder if Heads could only be paid a multiple of their staffs average salary, if more people were then able to progress onto the upper pay scale?

Conversley as well. If people were reduced from the upper to the main scale the pay link could also hold and they would get a cut. Share the pain?

No it would never happen. They would spend any savings on their own pay for having to organise the whole contemptible process.

7. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I do know at one school there was talk of redundancies but the HT kept his 10k bonus, even though one teacher on UPS was encouraged to go part-time (still had a schedule over 5 days but was .60)

Yoda- likes this.
  8. drek

drek Star commenter

It's not meant to be positive. Heads complained about their pay recently.... Here's Nicky telling them they can earn it out of someone else's pocket..... Yet again

Yoda- likes this.
  9. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

This was always going to happen with Performance Related Pay, the principles behind it (none of which I agree with) must mean that pay can rise and fall on 'merit'

10. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

It just seems like they like coming up with new and horrifying ways to keep teachers "on their toes" (and save money).

So even if things have gone well in your career, you've successfully got your pay progression every year and have then gone onto UPS, your pay (and therefore security of things like being able to pay the mortgage) is still not safe.

I'm in my 3rd year of teaching and apparently things are going well. My school is pretty good at granting pay progression and I just got a TLR to start after Christmas. So I've been feeling financially OK and am in the process of buying a house. Things like this really worry me because it seems like everything I do could STILL not be enough and a different Head in the future could still decide to reduce my pay.

And they wonder why ITT providers can't recruit enough trainees when there's stuff like this in the news...

Scintillant and Yoda- like this.
  11. Compassman

My old headteacher used to use the threat of 'support' (pre-capability) and the threat of pay reduction will add to her arsenal. More pressure for the staff who in reality cannot have full control over their students results.

But those staff who were only a couple of years into the job were denied progression despite working as hard as they could (Saturday and holiday revision sessions for example). Disgraceful.

Yoda- likes this.
  12. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Tie the position of the HT to the average position of the staff on their respective payscales.

School does well, staff progress, HT progresses.

School doesn't do well, staff don't progress, HT doesn't progress.

I know it doesn't work like that, but as we are pretending it should, then why not? Why should a HT whose staff aren't awarded pay rises for meeting targets get any kind of progression themselves. Maybe they could slip down onto the DHT scale if they aren't effective enough.

It's another part of the bullies charter.

Yoda- likes this.
  13. Compassman

The school financial report often makes interesting reading when looking at HTs pay.

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The HT is critical to a school though - our current one is hopeless - result, SM here we come.

15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Do you not think though that if (and it's a big if) this ever came in any remaining UPS 2 and 3 teachers anywhere near the retirement age will get out as soon as possible to protect pensions.

Yoda- likes this.
  16. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Yes.

It's basically what I did a couple of years ago.

Yoda- likes this.
  17. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

The pay scales don't really exist anymore.

Time will pass, US3 teachers will retire or be disappeared. Teachers will not be placed on what used to be the the upper pay scale, despite them reaching any set targets.

The upper pay scale will become just a memory that fades in the memory of older retired teachers glad they left the chalk face.

matt.png

eljefeb90 and Compassman like this.
  18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Why restrict it to UPS? I'm sure M6 or M5 staff could have this threat leveled at them...

Why, when this was first proposed... why didn't the Unions make some actual noise!

Yoda- likes this.
  19. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

I read about this in the NASUWT magazine "Teaching Today". The section giving a run down on what different parties have submitted to the STRB. Its one of the points that the union is making representations against.

To give them credit the NAHT have also argued against it.

https://www.nahtedge.org.uk/Newsand...in-Pay-Range-is-a-‘real-risk’-warns-NAHT.aspx

20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It doesn't matter what the unions think or do because they have no power or influence whatsoever.

If the government decides it will happen, then it will.

Mind you it will cause a huge exodus of older teachers out of the profession - probably what they want anyway.

I no longer worry about PRP - the system as practised in most schools is appalling.

Scintillant and lanokia like this.