1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nick Sharratt - Help

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by goonie, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Hi, can anyone help. Im trying to finish of my planning and we will be looking at authors this term. We have decided to look at Nick Sharratt but I am having a mental block with ideas. Has anyone spent a week or so on these books?

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

2. Hi goonie, ohh I love Nick Sharratt. There are loads of things you can do...
    'Shark in the Park' - Timothy Pope looking through his telescope, you could make telescopes and follow the rhyme and ask the children to write about what they can see.
    'Octopus Socktopus' - ask the children to think of other animals they could make into story characters e.g Goldilocktopus could turn into Red Riding Spider
    'You Choose' - get the children to make their own records of what they would choose on each page.
    'Cave Man Dave' - you could make a dark cave in your roleplay area for the children to discover things in.
    Loads of lovely rhymes from any of his stories.
    I know you're going to have so much fun with this one good luck.

3. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

"ketchup on your cornflakes" - give children 2 pieces of paper. Draw 2 things that go together - one on each piece of paper. Put them altogether to make a class split-page book.

4. We had a lovely week looking at pattern after reading "My Mum and Dad make me laugh" We basically did what was in the book - decorate (paper) t-shirts in spots or stripes (more able did repeating patterns), spotty pizzas, stripey salads, animal wax-resist pictures, printing/painting patterns, plus lots of general work on repeating patterns and sequencing.
    I love the idea of a class Ketchup on your Cornflakes. I'm going to be looking for a way to squeeze that one in before the end of term!

5. Bumping this one up to see if anyone has anymore Nick Sharratt ideas, as the children just love his books. Think we are going to design pants after reading the pants story, any ideas for eat your peas? having a mental block must need chocolate!

6. sadika

sadika New commenter

Get some dried peas and use tweezers to transfer them from bowl to bowl, count as you go!

7. Great ideas x

8. Am very excited about some of the ideas here ... so keen that I have changed the annual author study for my FS -Year 2 class from Lauren Child to Nick Sharratt. Now, any excellent role play area ideas please ...

9. Just thinking about this and think I am going with a hospital role play to tie in with our first book 'Ness the Nurse' (one of my favourite Nick Sharratt books) Going to put in paper pens and masking tape so they can make funky plasters like in the book, going to have this as my maths focus also as we have neally all got one more but still need more work on one less and this book is perfect for it.

10. Great ideas. Thanks.