1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nick Gibb misses the point again

Discussion in 'Education news' started by NQT1986, Nov 10, 2015.

1. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-34769430

The 'world's best teacher' has visited England and has warned that

an excessive focus on testing and a curriculum based on passing a test was "de-professionalising" teaching.

"It's done nothing but decimate morale," she said.

"It takes away teachers' autonomy, their ability to respond to who their students are and what they see is going on in their classroom."

But she emphasised how much could be achieved by teachers when they were able to engage with students and develop their creativity and writing skills.

Mr Gibb, observing from the back of the class, said he supported Ms Atwell "in her drive to highlight the importance of literacy and to help spread the love of reading around the world".

But he fails to comment on any of her other findings!!

FolkFan likes this.
  2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

He is a politician - turning a blind eye is second nature!

3. Treefayre2

Treefayre2 Established commenter

"Nancie Atwell says shouting is not the way to get pupils' attention"

"Softly spoken and fastidiously polite to the pupils, sitting in a circle around her, she taught a lesson about two poems. She also told them that her own pupils called her by her first name."

""I've been teaching a long time and something I've learnt is, almost the softer you are, the more attentive they are.""

"If there were behaviour problems, she said: "I would go to that student and say, 'What's the problem. You need to engage with this, stop talking.' I'm strict. I've also got what they call 'the look'... they fear it."

Sounds like she's never stepped out of a primary school in a good area. A complete barm cake:=)

...and why does the BBC never allow comments on education news?

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Nick Gibb misses the point again....

How does this count as news?

5. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

She teaches in, I think, the equivalent of a middle school - talked of 13 year olds being her speciality...

6. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

It was 12 - 13 year olds she was teaching. Why assume it's easier in primary?

7. Treefayre2

Year 8....
    Ah - the easiest of them all.

It is.

8. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

..and why does the BBC never allow comments on education news?

I agree-this really annoys me!!

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Good to see SLT is here, attacking the teacher...

[​IMG]

10. Treefayre2

"The 'world's best teacher'"

Let's get it right Lanokia - she's a god!

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Whatever you say SLT...

[​IMG]

12. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

And your evidence is.....?

13. Treefayre2

Oooh. Get you:=)

14. Treefayre2

Oh it's like having OFSTED questioning me.

Let's say 25 years teaching the full spectrum of 5 to 18 year olds across 3 countries.

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Not sure how that qualifies you to say she's a 'barm cake' ... because all you've done is insult her. She's made so pertinent points that highlight the problems thousands of teachers are working under... and you've written that off with ... nothing.

16. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

So why is she entertaining the hopeless and hapless Mr Gibb?

Surely the world's best teacher would be pointing out the errors in his approach

17. Treefayre2

She sure sounds like one. I'd like to see her bring her 'ideas' and practise them in some of the schools we have in the UK. She'd probably get away with them in the Indian Sub Continent, but then they'd probably giggle at her after a while.
    I just say things as they are Lanokia. If I see loopy stuff being passed off as workable, I don't stare and clap.
    Has she? She's stated the bleeding obvious about endless testing - and then gone on to demonstrate largely unworkable child-centred teaching in front of an MP - as if we could all get away with it in our daily teaching(bottom set year 10 business studies on a Friday last period - you'd have more problems keeping the kids in the classroom and not jumping out of the windows).

You need to be a little more critical Lanokia - she is selling snake oil.

18. Treefayre2

Exactly.

19. Treefayre2

Lanokia - this teacher is no ordinary teacher, and ordinary schools are alien to her:

Ms Atwell’s school in the rural town of Edgecomb, Maine, is no ordinary place of learning. Then again, Nancie Atwell is no ordinary teacher.

At her school, all classrooms have libraries, standardized tests are forbidden, classes are small, every religious and cultural holiday is celebrated, and students pick the topics they write about and the books they read. And read they do: her students wolf down about 40 books per year, well above the national average

Here

She also likes to hob nob with big boys:=)

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'm not sure what you mean by 'ordinary school', if you mean our exam factories then I'm glad for her not to working in such hellish environments. To say anything else is to celebrate a race to the bottom where all schools must be atrocious before any criticism can be accurate.

But you seem keen to shoot the messenger... just be careful of your own feet TF.