1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nick Gibb clinically vulnerably teachers safe to work

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ridleyrumpus, May 27, 2020.

1. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Well, he has a lot of medical expertise...

(Not)

3. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

I’m sure there’s a school near Westminster who need an overspill class.

And I’m sure Gibb would be happy to have their children in his office, licking his pens, sneezing on his PC keyboard, and licking his ears.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

:D:D:D:D:D
    Even my class don't lick my ears! (Can't promise they haven't licked each others'!)

I was under the impression that those with letters saying they are vulnerable are not at school. Those who live with someone who is, or who believe themselves to be vulnerable are at the mercy of their headteacher.

I assume this is because some schools can't open to all the chosen year groups because they don't have enough staff. And that full reopening will be impossible for a great many schools if anyone a tiny little bit vulnerable doesn't go back.

5. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

When I first read this, I misread the last word and wondered what piece of scandal I'd missed!!:eek:

Morgelyn, PeterQuint, Pomza and 4 others like this.
  6. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

This is schools we're talking about and not puppy training centres ?

upload_2020-5-28_12-2-19.jpeg

7. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

I have seen a TA licked by a pupil she supports in secondary. The pupil has severe learning difficulties so not a typical pupil however it happens.

Marisha, ridleyrumpus and agathamorse like this.
  8. gainly

gainly Star commenter

But the country is sick of experts. Better to leave the decision to someone who knows nothing.

9. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

Having had the texts telling me to shield till June 30th I am a little concerned about this, I understand that at the moment this does not include myself but when 1st July comes around....

agathamorse likes this.
  10. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

Have the unions not spoken up? In Scotland, the SSTA has said that vulnerable staff should not go in.

11. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Same in England, both major unions have said the same.

Marisha likes this.
  12. Lalex123

Lalex123 Established commenter

My dad is vulnerable and my brother and fiancé live with my parents. She’s been told to go back to work (not a teacher) and is not allowed to stay off any longer, even though firms can claim furlough. What is wrong with these people?!

Either the virus is a threat and we are still at risk due to government mishandling of things and easing lockdown or the virus was never really a risk and lockdown has been for nothing!

Marisha and agathamorse like this.
  13. historyexcel

historyexcel New commenter

So to quote 'asked to clarify if this means that "schools should be able to acquire those clinically vulnerable teachers and support staff to come in", Mr Gibb said: "provided the school is able to ensure there is social distancing at the school."' or 2m as the article suggests, it is fine to do so. Firstly assuming this is even possible it is salutory to note that https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8094933/How-one-man-spread-coronavirus-NINE-people-bus.html studies have demonstrated that coronavirus can infect at a distance of 4.5m in an enclosed space within which there is a group of people.

Marisha and ridleyrumpus like this.