1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nice Neighbourly Things.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by pastychucker, Aug 29, 2011.

1. I am just enjoying a rhubarb crumble made by my neighbour. She made it for me in exchange for some rhubarb from my allotment for her own crumble. It just struck me what a nice thing this is to do. Do you and your neighbours do nice things for each other?

2. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

I don't.
    I wanted to post to say that every time I see your name and picture, I smile. Thank you for that.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I pluck out his bindweed as it comes into my garden.

4. katycustard

katycustard New commenter

My husband and our male neighbour have been painting the back of both houses this week. Our neighbour told us about Focus going out of business and bought loads of masonary paint incredibly cheaply. We went halfs with him, they shared a ladder and got on with the job together.
    They take turns mowing the front lawns of both houses, we store stuff for them in our big chest freezer, they have lent us their car when ours was out of action and we needed one. I could go on, but you get the jist.

5. katycustard

katycustard New commenter

or even 'halves'!

6. I'm too nervous of our neighbours. The man next door once told me I had noffink to worry about, he was bringing his kids up proper, and teaching them never to rob from their own estate....
    I did help a neighbour carry her shopping home today, and other neighbours have done that for me in the past. Probably easier for these little kindesses to be exchanged between mums, even if we do hardly know each other?

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

My neighbour dislikes trees and insists on all surviving vegetation in his garden being cut into square and level surfaces - I like trees and allow my plants to grow naturally so that's been a bone of contention between us along our shared border in the past. That said, he gives me tomatoes from his greenhouse and I do the occasional neighbourly job for him as he's not in good shape. No point being at war with those next door if you can avoid it.

8. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

Our previous neighbour gave us loads of rhubarb and gooseberries, I cleared a path for him when it snowed and cut his side of the small hedge at the front. We have recently moved and our new neighbour came round our house every day when we were away to check all windows were in tact, and then restaked our beans when the storm blew them down. I have offered our services to her but as yet she hasn't asked us to do anything.

9. bizent

bizent Lead commenter

Our neighbours are slightly psychotic and send e-mails to my partner and I pretending to be someone one of us has slept with behind each others backs.
    Not quite the people I would like to do nice things for.

10. When we moved from inner city to rural Yorkshire I was horrified to find that all our washing had been pinched off the line.
    I was stomping round the kitchen muttering about thieving gits when our lovely new neighbour knocked on the door with a basket of our beautifully ironed laundry. Apparently it had rained so she brought it in for us, she then got bored and could think of nothing better to do than iron all our stuff!

11. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

We've recently moved so there had been no time to build up relationships yet.
    Our old neighbour was in most of the day so she took in all our packages and had a word with the dogs if they started to bark. She also did our ironing but we paid for that.
    We used to collect her bread from the village on a Saturday morning and we always took her garden rubbish to the tip as she didn't have a car.

12. Ours are fab - one side is a fantastic gardener who told us to just pop into his garden if we fancied a cabbage or cauli or anything... the other side is a builder who's forever helping us with things if we need a quick bit of advice or if we need to borrow a tool or anything. Mind you, we rented on the street before we bought - and the neighbours were a key factor in us choosing this house over others we viewed when we got the money together to buy the house three doors down from our rented one. It's just that sort of a street though - one side likes barbies and after a big one there are days of furniture and things being returned to the people on the street he's borrowed from (and invited) and people do things like pop out fence panels to share use of garden taps and borrow pressure washers and the like.

13. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

When our neighbour upstairs does some baking, she bakes an extra cake for us. She also looks after our ***** cats when we go away on holiday. My OH reciprocates by keeping her well stocked with fruit and veg from the allotment.

14. A few years ago, our neighbour's son got hold of an ancient BSA Bantam and spent ages 'doing it up'. Being attracted to his activities on his father;s front drive, I got talking to the son, who mentioned that he could not get the ignition timing right, as it had contact breaker points; a technology too ancient for him. With no more ado, I had the great satisfaction of using an a pencil, a screwdriver and a piece of thin papaer to accomplish the job in ten minutes!

15. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

We have barbecues with our next door and next door but one neighbours on the communal lawn in front of our houses and often sit outside with drinks or food and chat. We look after each others cats and gardens when people are away.
    When it snowed last winter nearly everyone in the street came out and cleared the snow together.

16. ...everybody needs good neighbours, lalalalalalalala!
    I have enjoyed reading these. Thanks! More rhubarb crumble for me tonight. :)

17. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

Neighbours on one side are OK. They know we have a woodburning stove and often give us wood offcuts from their DIY jobs. They've also given us odd bits of electrical materials. In return we have lent them our cement mixer for their various building jobs. Neighbours on the other side are brilliant. Older than us - it's like having a second set of parents. We regularly swap garden and greenhouse offerings and they collect parcels for us and feed the cat when we're away. By far the best thing so far is collecting OH from hospital 20 miles away a few years ago!