1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nice linen trousers?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon3372, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Nope - I am looking for some too.

2. I always buy mine from Next, around £20 with a choice of colours. Do you want smarter ones or an everyday pair?
    M and S any good?

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Will look at Next and M&S during the holidays.

4. I've also got a black pair from Dorothy Perkins that are now 2 years old. They were £30 and still look like new. That might be worth a try?

5. I do have a couple already from Next - I shall take a look when home at Easter.
    I tend to stock up on trousers in the UK - German ones are always made for giants!

6. Hope you get some nice ones catmother.
    I gave up on linen a couple of years ago. I had what I thought was a lovely beige linen skirt and a jacket...both looked smart/casual in the shop but when I wore them I felt so creased up. My jacket creased almost everywhere and when I washed the skirt (on low, following manufacturer's instructions) it shrank. I know some people think creased linen is a good (cool?) look but only the wildly artistic/eccentric/nutty professor types (who also wear a straw hat and perhaps a bow tie) seem to get away with looking that dishevelled. [​IMG]
    I do have two M&S linen shirts/tops and again, they never look as good on me as I imagine they do. I like them though and bought them with vouchers (a Christmas present) so don't feel too bad about the creasy look. Oh and I also bought them a size too big as well, and my hunch was right. They did shrink slightly in the wash.

7. lucylollipop

lucylollipop New commenter

Monsoon have some lovely ones in navy and white - nice and loose for Summer, but with button detail and nice pockets.

8. Sadly enough, yes, in Asda.

9. I avoid linen like the plague. I envy those who can stay looking elegant in them after two hours. I personally just look like a crumpled hobo. My friend always manages to carry off white linen perfectly.

10. Next do a linen mix which means they hardly crease at all. I have a number of pairs that I wear for most of the summer term. Brilliant.

11. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I always look like a crumpled ball in linen too :(

12. Be careful with Monsoon - have bought 2 pairs of lightweight trousers from this season - no two pairs are the same size (imagine the silent scream when the 8 fitted and the 10 didn't!) and also are a nightmare to iron even when whilst damp. Have given up and thrown the things to the back of the wardrobe. Serves me right for buying posh trousers for work!

My cheap pairs from H&M 2 years ago are fantastic and still look like new.

13. Now that's interesting because I bought navy linen trousers in Monsoon last year and I was so pleased with them that I went and bought a pair in white (never before have I wanted to own white trousers) - but I love both pairs and don't have any problems with them.

14. New Look have nice ones in grey, black, navy and white, I bought mine last year and all still in good nik and they have them in again this year.

15. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Should I feel honoured that someone bothered to join TES today to revive my two years old thread about linen trousers?

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

You should...but it gives me an opportunity to moan about forgetting about my long-held opinion of linen trousers (or skirts or dresses or any other damned thing) as, this summer, bought a new pair of linen trousers only to remember why I loathe linen. How come some people can wear linen and look smart all day but I look as though I'm wearing pyjama trousers within half an hour?

17. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Same here! I suspect that, in my case,the ones I buy are the cheap kind....

18. inky

inky Lead commenter

Cheap linen from the baltic states flooded the market when europe opened up. It wasn't the same quality as the irish stuff.

19. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

How can I put this delicately?

I can't, so I won't even try. When you sit down, the linen moulds itself around your ladybits so that when you stand up it's there for all to see, like a camel's toe I suppose. I've seen this on so many women and 'tis not a pretty sight.

Maybe it's the thinner, cheaper linen, I don't know.

I just know I won't be buying a pair.[​IMG]