1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NHS!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sandboy3, Jan 5, 2012.

1. sandboy3

sandboy3 New commenter

I am living in UAE and have 80 yr old mum back in England. She fell and broke her collarbone before xmas and haas been incapacitated since.
    Found out yesterday she has sores under her breasts which have become badly infected ( nurse said worst case she has seen) and she has been in agony for weeks. She has mixed up her medication and been taking wrong tablets for goodness knows how long. In addition she has been falling asleep whilst smoking and has burnt several nighties and dressing gowns.
    Nurse and doctor both agreed she needed emergency admittance to hospital so was sent there yesterday. Was kept in a and e fr several hors then sent home ( I think due to shortage of beds)
    district nurse coming today and care package sorted but she needs to be in hospital full time a moment.

so hard when I am so far away!

2. sandboy3

sandboy3 New commenter

I am living in UAE and have 80 yr old mum back in England. She fell and broke her collarbone before xmas and haas been incapacitated since.
    Found out yesterday she has sores under her breasts which have become badly infected ( nurse said worst case she has seen) and she has been in agony for weeks. She has mixed up her medication and been taking wrong tablets for goodness knows how long. In addition she has been falling asleep whilst smoking and has burnt several nighties and dressing gowns.
    Nurse and doctor both agreed she needed emergency admittance to hospital so was sent there yesterday. Was kept in a and e fr several hors then sent home ( I think due to shortage of beds)
    district nurse coming today and care package sorted but she needs to be in hospital full time a moment.

so hard when I am so far away!

3. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Do you have no unemployed or recently retired friends in the UK that you could hire to act for you? @ £20 an hour you could probably put all your fears to rest for less than a hundred quid.

4. sandboy3

sandboy3 New commenter

Don't know anyone there now... I left home 27 years ago and my friends are all over diff parts of UK, but nne there, Brother is next door but his wife having treatmant for breast cancer and he works 12 hour days and has a son. Oher neighbour is good but sh has 4 kids, one of whom is disabled and terminally ill. NHS will send a carere for an hour morning and eve but she is is such a state she needs more than that

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

When is your next holiday period and do you have the option to take compassionate leave?
    With your brother on the doorstep, even with his own responsibiities, surely things like your mother's meals could be sorted. It's no extra work to cook for an additional person and just involves the grandchild taking the meals to her and perhaps helping to feed her. Your brother could also get one of theose medicine sorters and allocate her tablets in the correct quantities to the correct day of the week.
    You could perhaps pay for a cleaner a couple of times per week and the carer could then concentrate on your mother's personal care.
    Your mother should also be applying for Attendance Allowance. It's not means tested; it's based on the need for help with personal care. She won't be able to complete the forms as they're quite complicated. You or your brother should do it (or involve Age UK). The questions should be answered based on when she is at her worst. The money generated would pay for extra help.

6. sandboy3

sandboy3 New commenter

Hi
    my brother goes in 2x a day but works for 12 hurs a day plus travelling time...His wifamd other neighbou have sent some meals in but they remain untouched the next day. She is able to eat by herself.
    WE are now looking at her going to a local convalescent home for a couple of weeks until she is more on her feet. She has a attendance allownce so my get this subsidised or free but i will pay if needed. Just want her to be somwhere safe and looked after till shes fought this infection and is better able to look after herself ( hopefully still with some care package)
    fingers crossed

7. Are you saying the NHS is at fault?
    The hospital may not be the right place for her if she just needs to recover - she would be more at risk of getting a vomiting bug, mrsa or just depressed being in there! If they have put a care package in place then they must think she could be looked after at home with support. We used my grandmas attendance allowance to pay for a twice daily visit from a carer who made sure she got up and dresssed, had breakfast, tea and then got ready for bed. She did well with this for 4 years.
    It's not the hospital's fault she has had sores for weeks, mixed up her medication or fallen asleep smoking. Nursing care in the home, using a medication sorter and trying to get her to stop smoking would address these issues.
    If she had really needed to be kept in, she would have been. Maybe the fact that you live so far away is adding to your anxiety. Maybe a compassionate visit home should be your next move?

8. sandboy3

sandboy3 New commenter

You are probably right Shaun in that I feel more anxious being so far away.
    I guess my complaint with the NHS was that the doc said she needed emergency admittance, then they kept her in A and E for 4 hours waiting for a bed then sent her home.
    We will se how care package works but also looking at paying for a convalescent home for a couple of weeks till she gets a bit better.