1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NHS volunteers

Discussion in 'Personal' started by cheesypop, Mar 24, 2020.

1. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

It’s really easy to sign up, just google it.
    You use an app and just turn it on when you are available.
    I’m hoping it will make me feel a bit less helpless...

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It's a really good thing.

3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I volunteered, a couple of years ago. I went from ward to ward doing patient satisfaction surveys. I saw some things I wish I hadn't..:eek:

But, I'm sure they'll be grateful of extra help right now.

4. HistoryEducator

HistoryEducator Occasional commenter

Well done

[​IMG]

Sally006, Jamvic, butties and 2 others like this.
  5. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

You can sign up to one of 4 roles, none of which is actually in hospitals

- patient Transport
    - community stuff (shopping for people who can’t go out etc)
    - NHS transport (delivering equipment or prescriptions)
    - phone calls to check in on people on their own

they literally just wanted my DBS number

chelsea2 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. rararasputin

rararasputin Established commenter

I have no idea what mine is so had to scan my passport. At least I know how to scan things now!

bombaysapphire and Dragonlady30 like this.
  7. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

8. Dunteachin

I've just looked at that. Mr Dunty and I fancy doing something to help.

It's a bit at odds with the stark warning to stay at home. How much risk would it carry?

9. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

I was wondering the same Dunty about the risk. One job is to collect and deliver shopping and prescriptions and I have stopped going shopping and would not be wanting to go into a chemists if I could avoid it. Another is transporting people home, in your own car, which presumably is people who have recovered from the virus but could they still be infectious? We hear about people testing negative and then positive. I'd want to know a bit more before I registered. Maybe if anyone volunteers could they feedback?

Dunteachin likes this.
  10. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Why would they ask people to volunteer if they are not also providing eg masks?
    Why would people volunteer without them?
    It's not just about chance of contracting CV yourself, it's also about the chance of spreading it completely without knowing you have done. There is a far greater risk of that than anything else, which is why we are where we are.

They ought to be providing masks and sanitisers to volunteer otherwise it makes a mockery of asking people not to go out. Even if as a society we are slowing the spread, It only takes one person to initially convey the virus for reaugmentation to occur.

Jamvic, Dunteachin and Laphroig like this.
  11. Dunteachin

Yes. I stopped to think about that, when I looked at the info.

Recruiting half a million people to go into the community! Catching the virus, spreading it, making the situation far, far worse.

It SEEMS a good idea. Dunkirk spirit, and all that, but it's counter-productive and downright dangerous.

12. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

This has typified the governmental response over the last weeks, in fairness maybe because that is how the UK population generally thinks; a virtue signal for the self is bigger than insight into the final outcome.
    I enjoyed watching the NZ lock down order yesterday, if enjoyed is the right word. No nonsens. This is what you will do. This is what we will do if you don't do it. This is what will be hard. This is what we will do to ease it. Now go away and do it.

In the UK-erm, maybe you should try this. It might be tricky otherwise. We'll let you off if you have special reasons. If you dont want to do it, be ready to explain why. Maybe. And then the problem will be slightly easier. Hurrah. O, and we'll make several major exceptions just to demonstrate that actually we care very much about you.
    We've had woolly and flaky in the same way in our education system over the last decade or so-looking after the child is more important than sanctioning for poor behaviour for a greater outcome all round.
    Well now it's being applied to the nation We will feel good about ourselves if we volunteer, and we will be helping individuals and we will be able to see them smile at us, but actually it would be more effective all round in terms of viral spread if nobody did this and if it were stridently enforced by those empowered from the top to do so. Teachers of poorly behaved kids-does this ring any bells?!

Rant gone. Just a rant without solution. Not helpful, just heartfelt, jumbly annoyance that measures are not stricter.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Laphroig, Nellyfuf2 and Dunteachin like this.
  13. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Difficult to say without some detail, I would think. Picking up a box of food from the supermarket, leaving it outside the front door of a quarantined person, ringing the bell and walking away would probably be less riskier than what most of us are doing (spending time in a supermarket to queue and shop).

Providing telephone support to the elderly and lonely would involve no risk at all.

They say "The majority of tasks can be undertaken while social distancing". Providing transport home for discharged patients probably carries a slight risk, although reports of reinfection are vanishingly rare. Certainly masks should be used for that job.

14. Dunteachin

Personally, I would stick to the phone calls.

What part of STAY AT HOME are we not getting?

Sally006 likes this.
  15. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The part that says you can leave home to care for those in need.

The National Medical Director of NHS England has just announced that more than 170,000 have already signed up as volunteers since yesterday evening: that's a rate of 189 a minute.

16. Dunteachin

Well, I suppose there are plenty of underused teachers who'd be willing.

bella2891 likes this.
  17. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Opinions on strictness are greatly influenced by one's personal situation.

18. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

They do meet the requirements of the enhanced DBS roles.

Dunteachin likes this.
  19. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I have volunteered to check in and chat.

In the same way as we need key workers, those other services are necessary.

20. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I've just looked - but as I don't have a smart phone, can I still download apps to a PC?