1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NHS Test and Trace

Discussion in 'Personal' started by moscowbore, May 29, 2020.

1. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

If I teach for 2 or 3 days, get symptoms and get a positive covid19 result, do all of my students from the previous few days get a call to self-isolate?

steely1 likes this.
  2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

None of this (as usual) has been thought through.

What about van drivers or lorry drivers ?

Systems like this need an app to work - we haven't got one.

idlp56, Laphroig and steely1 like this.
  3. baitranger

baitranger Senior commenter

Highly effective test track and trace systems are in operation in other countries, but we have inexplicably tried to reinvent the wheel in the UK without trying to copy successful systems elsewhere. With our record of failure in preventing deaths from Covid 19, where does the arrogance , assumption that we are better than others and sense of innate superiority come from?

idlp56, ajrowing and steely1 like this.
  4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

As I understand it, the NHS Track and Trace system is identical to that used in other countries.

Are you sure you aren't referring to the phone app when you say reinventing the wheel?

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Its been done this way because they want complete control and don't know what they are doing.

6. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Within 2m for 15 minutes.
    That doesn’t count for a class. Chris Witty was doing a nudge nudge wink wink routine last night saying - don’t get within 2m of anyone for more than 15 minutes and you’ll never have to isolate unless you actually get Covid19.

7. baitranger

Check out the test , track and trace system used very successfully in Vietnam. We should have been doing this in March, not June.

8. baitranger

I think it also depends on the behaviour of the individuals in the class. If for ,example , they tend to leave their seats, throw objects and engage in physical interaction with each other, the risk is much greater. Being confined in one room for hours with such individuals is not a risk I would be prepared to take for any money.

steely1 likes this.
  9. florian gassmann

Too many cases here in March. In Vietnam in March, there were often only 8 or 9 new cases a day. Tracing 8 or 9 cases a day is trivial. Tracing 6000+ confirmed cases a day (more like 18,000 actual cases) needs a very large army of epidemiologists and tracers.

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Codswallop

If track and trace had not been abandoned in March we would have had the intervening two and a half months to get it going and it might have been working by now.

Instead - we are starting essentially from scratch with no app and poor planning.

11. moscowbore

Yes it does count for a class. It is impossible to have a 2m exclusion zone around teachers in any classroom. Even if we pack 15 of the wee angels together at the back wall of the classroom, which parents might have an issue with, some interaction with students is unavoidable.

I have been in school for a few days recently taking a class through the final stages of coursework. It is a practical impossibility to have any interaction from a distance of 2m. Especially if you need the students to correct things or answer their very specific questions.

steely1 likes this.
  12. florian gassmann

And how many tracers do you think would be needed to follow up possibly 18,000 new cases a day, bearing in mind that epidemiologists have said that tracing just one person's contacts can take 3 days?

The only countries that have succeeded in using track and trace are the ones where the infection rate is, or has become, low enough to make such a technique possible. France, for instance, has only just started track and trace - and with only 900 tracers compared with our 25,000 they are unlikely to have much effect. Other countries have, because of the numbers involved, had to restrict track and trace to particular towns (as in Madrid).

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  13. moscowbore

Something I learned last night was quite alarming. The actual number of new infections per day is near 7000. 7000 new infections per day, currently, as we type. And that is with social distancing.

steely1 likes this.
  14. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

This is a joke. But I wonder if some will be tempted to actually do something similar...(naming their own 'friends' perhaps!)

[​IMG]

15. florian gassmann

It has always been the case that the number of reported infections is only those who have tested positive, and the actual number including people who are asymptomatic or who have symptoms too trivial to worry about) is probably about three times the number of positive tests.

Prof Whitty has made this very point at almost every daily briefing in which he has mentioned the infection rate.

16. florian gassmann

That was identified as the biggest danger of Test and Trace more than a month ago. At the moment, if someone was falsely identified I don't think they would have any redress other than taking out a private prosecution again the 'prankster'. A few high profile cases, with massive compensation for loss of earnings, and prison for failling to pay up, would probably help to deter others.

I haven't heard, though, of it being a problem in previous uses of Test and Trace, either here or abroad.

17. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Continuously within 2m of the same student for the whole of 15 minutes? I doubt it. A class won’t be contacted for test and trace. What it does suggest is that meetings are dead in the water. You will just teach. There will be no meetings of any kind with anyone except of the online variety.

Could be a model of teaching we’d all like!

EmanuelShadrack and ajrowing like this.
  18. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

It wouldn't be half as alarming if there was some indication of the geography and demographics.

19. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

Which I suppose is why it is so important that everyone does their civic duty. As Hancock was keen to stress yesterday.
    Oddly though Hancock was not prepared to say that Cummings had done his civic duty.

20. florian gassmann

I don't think there is a duty on anyone to use the PHE special provisions for safeguarding the vulnerable or children. It is purely a matter of personal decision.