1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NHS staff to receive at least a 6.5% pay rise over 3 years, will teachers be next?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by MacGuyver, Mar 21, 2018.

1. MacGuyver

MacGuyver Occasional commenter

From the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43481341

The STRB report on pay is usually released in early July.

I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in Personal. If people want it moved then by all means report it.

2. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Any increase above the 1% cap is welcome but with inflation currently running at 2.7% pa, 6.5% over 3 years is still a pay cut.

phlogiston and Compassman like this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Supposedly the average disguises much bigger rises for the lower-paid workers. Which sounds distinctly un-Tory to me. What ARE they thinking?

JohnJCazorla and needabreak like this.
  4. moscowbore

moscowbore Occasional commenter

I am astonished at the publicity around this. The unions are making it sound like a resounding victory. IT IS NOT !!!!

IT IS A PAY CUT!!!!!

5. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

"Living standards are rising for the first time in a year, with the latest official figures showing that wages outpaced inflation in January.

Regular pay, excluding bonuses, increased by 2.8 per cent in the month, compared with the Office for National Statistics’ preferred inflation measure of 2.7 per cent, heralding the end of a squeeze on incomes that began last February.

It will come as a welcome relief for households, for whom real pay has not yet recovered to the levels seen before the 2007 financial crisis. The ten-year contraction in real wages is the longest since the 1860s.

Rising wages may strengthen the case for the Bank of England to lift interest rates. It increased them to 0.5 per cent in November and publishes its latest decision tomorrow but it is not expected to lift them by another quarter point until at least May.

The improving pay data emerged alongside the latest unemployment figures. Joblessness rose by 24,000 to 1.45 million over the three months to January compared with the previous three months but the unemployment rate held steady at a 43-year low of 4.3 per cent.

Employment also increased by 168,000 to another record 32.25 million and the employment rate was a joint record at 75.3 per cent. More people became available for work than found jobs, which accounts for the higher level of unemployment.

The female jobless rate rose above the male unemployment rate for the first time since 1980. Some 4.4 per cent of women were out of work compared with 4.2 per cent of men. The rising pension age for women, which drags more into the workforce, may account for some of the change.

Ian Brinkley, acting chief economist at the CIPD, said: “These figures show that the labour market seems to have plenty of life left in it, with unemployment remaining at a historically low rate and a substantial rise in employment driven by more people in full time and permanent work."

Todays Times. Interesting?

6. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Lead commenter

Considering that the unions involved are even more toothless than the Teaching Unions (hard to believe I know) then it does justify there existence somewhat. Much more likely is it's a resounding victory for the failure of recruitment and retention. The fact that hospital staff are genuinely life-savers doesn't do any harm either, though it's hardly done any good up to now.

To answer the question, will our lot of unmilitant, Kid-Shouterers garner enough public sympathy for a Tory Government to even consider paying us a bit more? :rolleyes:
    I can't be bothered answering that one.:(

drek likes this.
  7. moscowbore

moscowbore Occasional commenter

A very biased piece of reporting.

Anyone outside the UK reading this article would get the impression that all is rosy in the UK.
    10 years of real pay cuts is nothing to crow about. The number of full-time jobs includes many zero hours contracts. It is totally misleading. Many of those jobs are also minimum wage. The headlines do not tell the whole story.

8. jynerson

jynerson New commenter

It's a great maths question.

Someone gets a payrise of 6% over 3 years.
    Inflation is 2.7%,

What is the effect of this payrise? 5 marks

drek, SomethingWicked and lanokia like this.
  9. JanE60

JanE60 New commenter

Good point. The proposed pay rises should, however, be graduated more fairly. Nurses and others on low wages need and deserve the maximum rise. However, there are staff paid almost as much as doctors and dentists (who are not getting the increase) who will be laughing. 6% on 80k or so is a lot!
    When will the government be looking at teacher salaries which were frozen for so many years, then only a 1% raise. I think we should be treated in line with other professions.

10. install

install Star commenter

What is still odd is the tiny gap between the salary of porters and the starting salary of qualified nurses...

SomethingWicked likes this.
  11. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

As has been said, this is a far poorer deal than is being reported.

However, just to pick up on one point, inflation is 2.75% this year, but is due to be 2.4 next, followed by 1.8 and 1.9%, a total of 6.1%, so this a tiny real-terms pay rise rather than a cut, though obviously this is based on projections.

The head-scratching bit is the difference in rise between top and bottom. Those on the lower rungs will get 29%, with those on top getting 6.5%. Where will that leave us in three years’ time?

It’d put an NQT on around £30,000 with someone at the top of MPS on £36,000. PRP? It’s barely worth bothering!

12. Clive_Candy

Clive_Candy New commenter

Seems to me the Government's missed a trick here.

Why aren't they announcing a 20% pay rise - over *cough* 10 years?

13. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

Remember inflation is 3.7% under Retail Prices Index. Please do not read what the media prints.

What ever pay rise teachers receive many like working for low pay because it Is their dream job. How many will know how much they have received this year 1%, 2% or no pay rise at al all

drek likes this.
  14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

For my present point on the pay scale to equal it's real terms spending power for the year that I started teaching I would need a £10K payrise. I'm M6 and it was £28K in 2004/5. According to an inflation calculator that is now worth £40,900.

Jesus I'm now depressed....

drek likes this.
  15. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

16. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Lead commenter

I'll be in as well, NASUWT though.

But....... Boris, Theresa, and the press are itching for another distraction from the car-crash that is Brexit. Resurrecting the Spirit of Maggie against a load of over-pensioned, over-holidayed slackers will be just the ticket.

Worse still, a significant minority of teachers will believe such rubbish and a lot of the rest will be swayed by variations on "It's the children I worry about".

Even if (or IF) the ballot makes it then it's still likely that it'll just be you and I on a picket line trying to get, "Theresa, Theresa, Theresa, Out! Out! Out!" to scan.

drek likes this.
  17. needabreak

Why use RPI instead of CPI?

SomethingWicked likes this.
  18. needabreak

Inflation was pretty much under control until they trusted us to vote on EU membership and that slight majority voted out, we are without a doubt our own worst enemies.

drek likes this.
  19. needabreak

I know lots of teacher on 46k-76kpa and mortgages nearly paid off or huge equity in property who are bleating away that they are getting poorer... I'm not sure they have a clue what poor is.

20. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Senior commenter

That's nice. I'm not one of them. Believe me, I am quite familiar with the world of genteel poverty. Ask me when I last bought some shoes.

drek and Jolly_Roger12 like this.