1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NHS racial equality manager sacked for racism

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So that's 100K saved...

Why is the NHS wasting valuable money on this tosh?

peter12171 and nomad like this.
  3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

And how many more of the same are there?

bombaysapphire, peter12171 and nomad like this.
  4. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I hope she's not replaced. What a monumental waste of money. How do these things come about? Who in their right mind would think that that was a suitable amount of money to pay someone to tell people not to be racist?

5. Doitforfree

Goodness, and I had assumed that she did this job for the whole NHS, not one trust. Are they insane? How did that get past the auditors?

6. xmal

xmal Occasional commenter

Her salary equates to two doctors working in A&E

7. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

The systemic disadvantage that many ethnic minorities face?

8. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Her official role was Associate Director of Transformation. Although it appears there was no job description other than 12 objectives she set herself!.

Considering she was then meant to make a year-on-year reduction in the number of race-related complaints and associated Employment Tribunals, you'd like to think that she would have shown better judgement with her behaviour which seemed to want to increase this.

9. Bobbbs

Bobbbs Occasional commenter

Such as what exactly? Almost all companies in Britain operate under positive hiring practices for minorities of all categories. Unless you're suggesting there is some sort hidden system, all current systems are designed to ensure equality of opportunity.

Or, more interestingly, we could start looking at how different ethnic groups are doing in various categories. But those statistics very rarely support the, well intentioned an compassionate, story of the oppressed other.

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Please evidence which NHS systems disadvantage someone on the grounds of their ethnic status.

11. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I imagine being a white candidate for her job might not be an advantage....

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

NHS workforce 80.2% white which is a decrease from 80.7%. UK is 87% white.

People from ethnic backgrounds are over-represented in the workforce .... and still the old canard of ''systemic racism'' is trotted out ...

£100K for a non-existent problem in one trust. I dread to think if this role is replicated across the NHS. With something like 200 trusts across the country, that's a £20 million saving already....

peter12171 likes this.
  13. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

People ask why large organisations employ such people. Surprisingly they can't work that out. Give them the obvious answer and they deny the existence of any problems.

Black medics in NHS paid thousands less than white medics

Black doctors in the NHS are paid on average almost £10,000 a year less and black nurses £2,700 less than their white counterparts, the biggest study of earnings by ethnicity has found.

The revelations, based on analysis of 750,000 staff salaries in the NHS in England, prompted claims of racial discrimination.

Black female doctors earn £9,612 a year less and black male doctors £9,492 a year less than white ones, the research exercise by NHS Digital, the service’s statistical arm, found.

Black female nurses and midwives earn £2,700 a year less and black male nurses and midwives £1,872 a year less.

Black personnel – those who defined themselves as black/African/Caribbean/black British – are also paid much less than white colleagues across the entire range of roles performed in the health service, NHS Digital found.

Black men working in the NHS across all job types earn £5,796 less than white peers and £7,272 less than the average male pay. The equivalent gaps for black women are much smaller but still visible, at £1,980 and £2,172 respectively.

Dr Chaand Nagpaul, the chair of the British Medical Association, the doctors’ union, said: “BME doctors make up more than a third of the medical workforce and play a vital role, day in day out, delivering care to patients across the country. Yet these figures confirm that they, alongside wider NHS staff, continue to face unacceptable barriers, penalties and discrimination in the health service.

“It cannot be right that in 21st-century Britain there are such wide gaps in pay between white and BME doctors when, irrespective of their background, they hold positions to deliver the same care to patients.”

See above.

But hey, it's alright, because all the cleaners are ethnic

bombaysapphire and sbkrobson like this.
  14. Doitforfree

So why is this still happening when we have highly paid persons such as the one in the article quoted at the beginning of the thread? Surely if they were doing the job they were colossally well paid to do then any racial bias ought to have been eradicated.

sparklesparkle likes this.
  15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Not if the 'Associate Directors of Transformation' bring the bias into the workplace with them.

Stiltskin and sparklesparkle like this.
  16. sparklesparkle

sparklesparkle Established commenter

Identity politics isn't about equality. It's about "my identity is better than yours".

She seems to be heavily involved in identity politics so this doesn't surprise me in the least.

peter12171 likes this.
  17. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I missed the bit that explained why all pay differences are caused by discrimination and racism.

Highlighting only the medical staff pay difference between "white" and "those who defined themselves as black/African/Caribbean/black British" makes me suspect that pay differences between "white" and "those who defined themselves as Asian and other minority ethnic" are much smaller, even though there more than 6 times as many Asian medical staff in the NHS as Black medical staff. But I guess that's not such a good story.

bevdex likes this.
  18. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Ok there is a problem but I want to know why. Is it just pure naked racism? Is it not illegal to pay someone less because of their skin colour? if this is about racism why haven't the victims sued their employers?

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So on the one hand we keep being told we need immigrants so they can pick fruit, they can clean our offices and they can care for our elderly... and then you cry racism when they do those low paid jobs?

Yet you keep arguing that Leavers are racist... but Remain are making arguments that you now think are racist?

No-one is paying these people less because they are non-white... all you've found is a difference.

I asked for you examples of NHS systems that are racist. You said it was ''systemic racism''... so give me the examples.

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Why is it a problem that someone of a different ethnic group does a lower paid job?

Or are people genuinely thinking we should promote people on the grounds of their skin colour? Because that sounds pretty racist... that lovely soft bigotry of low expectations that middle class Brits love to have...