1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NHS dentist charges

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by dumpty, Feb 20, 2019.

1. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

My close friend visited a NHS dentist for the first time. She was asked to pay about 20 pounds before she went in and has been given a plan of action (two fillings) that will be done next week. On the plan is a price of 59 pounds I think.

Does this mean she pays 20 + 59, or will the 59 include that 20 already paid, meaning she will be asked for 39 pounds next time?

Thanks. Just want to be sure.

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

It should include the 20 already paid.

Stiltskin likes this.
  3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

As I understand - and I might well be wrong - there are only 3 bands of NHS charges. Band 1 is around £20, which basically only covers a check-up. Band 2, the £59, will cover fillings and extractions. Your friend should only pay £39 next time as the £20 already paid will be taken off the £59. Band 3, which is £256, is for major work like plates and bridges.

Stiltskin likes this.
  4. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

Thank you - appreciated.

5. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

She just pays for the fillings next time. £59.

6. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

Update for you - she was indeed only asked to pay the balance, that is 59 minus the 20 she had paid already, 39 pounds.

Thanks all.

ATfan likes this.
  7. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

Excellent news

dumpty likes this.