1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NHS Dental Treatment - free?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by gaudium, May 31, 2011.

1. Does anyone know if we are (or will be) entitled to free/reduced cost NHS dental treatment as full time PGCE students? I seem to remember that during my degree I was, however I graduated in 2007 so I'm not sure if it has changed.

The NHS website seems to suggest not - or rather it doesn't mention full time higher eduction students - but there seems to be a 50/50 split between ex PGCE students I have spoken to about it.

I ask as my current dentist has written to me saying that they are going private only. I have found a new surgery but as my check up isn't due till the end of July I thought I may as well wait 6 weeks so, if we do get free treatment, I don't have to pay the £17 odd for the check up :)

2. Go to your local pharmacy and ask for a form for free/reduced health care (i think its called a HC1).

Fill it in, it asks for all your financial & home details and post it off. You will get a certificate if eligible that gives you free or reduced price dental treatment & prescriptions.

I always got minimum loan, no bursary, no parental help & wasn't eligible, but I know people who were so I've got no clue how they work it out.

3. Ooh, thanks - I couldn't remember what the form was called or where I got it from last time! Dentist's office was not especially helpful - just trying to persuade me to go private......
    I get full loan, grant etc for next year, will be 25 upon starting the course and haven't lived at home since I was 18 so fingers crossed [​IMG]
    Sods law, I bet I end up needing a filling or something and have to go just before the course starts!