1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NHS crowns vs private

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oliverferret, Oct 26, 2010.

1. oliverferret

oliverferret New commenter

My daughter needs to have a crown on her front tooth. She has £500 saved up and wants to spend it on having a private crown - the dentist says they are made of a different material and will be a better match to her own teeth. Does anyone know if there is much difference and how long crowns last.

2. I am on Denplan and have paid the top-up for my three crowns on the basis that they are a better match and retain their colour better. I have nothing to compare this with. For all I know the NHS ("black") crowns could be just as good.
    To be honest i have given up hope of getting an impartial opinion.

3. Front tooth - definitely private if she has the money!

4. I have a number of NHS crowns and have never had any bother with them. The colour is a good match and you would not know they were crowns unless you knew. I think the important part about crowns is how they are prepared and fitted. When I had my 2 front teeth crowned the dentist colour matched them in natural light invarious parts of the surgary to get the correct match, as he said that is how you would be seem by other people.

Having said NHS crowns stil have to be paid for, I would suggest your daughter discusses all possibilities with her dentist before making her decision. This of course depends on how confident she is with her dentist. I have a great dentist and trust his advice.

5. A dentist, perhaps private or NHS with a good chance of a private practice on the side states private is better. Hmm.

What are the chances this dentist will propose they can do it privately?

6. oliverferret

oliverferret New commenter

Exactly - which is why I'm asking on here. He is a new dentist (the old one retired) so we don't have any kind of relationship with him and don't really even know whether he is good or bad. It's a lot of money to go privately but she is very image conscious - we had thought maybe of getting some recommendations and shopping around a bit.

7. Jonha

Jonha New commenter

I think it is much, much more important to find a dentist who cares.
    I had a crown done in Sweden (ice-hockey club) and it was fine. I thought the dentist did a good job and was careful.
    I then lost a front tooth (ice-hockey club again!) but this time I was in Hong Kong and the dentist spent about 5 hours taking all kinds of pictures and X rays, having moulds made and discussing with his staff. He had the new tooth made within 48 hours and spent another 3 or so hours moving it, adjusting it, cutting it.
    The end result would have put Tom Cruise to shame [​IMG] and suddenly made the Swedish effort seem both quick and apathetic.
    If your daughter wants it done well, keep asking around and don't worry too much about the money, not least if a few $$'s more will mean a brilliant job. (Although in Sweden I paid 400 poounds, HK was 300)
    I now wear a mouth guard when playing ice hockey [​IMG]

8. A big difference in NHS v private is in the lab work used to make the crowns. NHS will only cover the production cost of a "standard" crown. Private treatment usually means a better crown is made from superior materials.

9. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Senior commenter

My husban's NHS crown has just failed after a few years. Our current dentist correctly identified it as an NHS crown without being told. He seemed to think that dentists just don't get paid enough to do as good crown on the NHS, and the crown will be cheaper. he charges about £300 for a private one.

10. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Actually, in some instances private dentists use materials that are substandard and inferior to NHS. There was an investigation on Radio 4 a few months ago.
    I have a lovely NHS dentist and would be more than happy to have front crowns done by him if needed. (Front crowns will always be white to match teeth, btw)
    Only go private if you can't find NHS, or if you need something they can't do - like implants.
    Middle giraffelet had front tooth repaired 10 yrs ago NHS and it's still excellent

11. Don't tar them all with the same brush. Some dentists might say private is better to get the money, but not all would do that.
    I've had an NHS dentist tell me I needed all sorts of work that other (private) dentists didn't - including filling teeth that don't need it.

12. thistledoo

thistledoo Senior commenter

I'm in the camp of Private dentistry. I'm in the process of having NHS work put right! NHS dentists' cannot choose the materials they use and have a set amount of time to do the job. I had a good NHS dentist but the materials failed after so long... they looked ok at first but didn't after a few years. I would find a good private dentist, by word of mouth. Join a health plan for the reduction in cost. I wish I had done it sooner.