1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NGO vs Charity: What's the difference?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ian60, Jan 16, 2007.

1. ian60

ian60 New commenter

I used to work for an NGO (in South Africa) and was recently asked the difference between that and a charity.

I could not come up with any reasonable answer.

Can anyone explain to me?

2. ian60

ian60 New commenter

I used to work for an NGO (in South Africa) and was recently asked the difference between that and a charity.

I could not come up with any reasonable answer.

Can anyone explain to me?

3. NGOs are not registered charities. Only those bodies registered with the Charity Commission can call themselves charities

4. In practical terms it makes not a huge amount of difference apart from certain tax advantages to being a charity, offset by a greater degree of oversight into their affairs and the need to lodge their annual accounts with the Commission

5. ian60

ian60 New commenter

Is this why bodies can be charities in the UK (such as Oxfam and VSO) and yet NGO's in other countries?

6. yes - when operating internationally they cannot always claim official charitable status for their operations in other countries, especially when it is a permanent presence in that country.

7. ian60

ian60 New commenter

I also have this feeling that NGO's 'bring in' so called experts from outside the environment to show people what to do.

Is this unfair?

8. Charities do that as well

9. ian60

ian60 New commenter

Thanks very much packerguy, your posts have been very helpful.

It does seem like a grey area to someone as simple as me.

When I worked in South Africa, the funding for the NGO was from foreign aid agencies that did not want to fund the apartheid govt. But then the govt became democratic... No more funding.

Hence a lot of NGO's going bankrupt (and jobs lost as well)

10. sad but hopefully the work done by the NGOs is now being done by governmental agencies

11. catmother

catmother Star commenter

You should ask my brother,he's just published a book all about NGOs.It's in French,of course.

12. ian60

ian60 New commenter

It's true, I should ask your brother, catmother

That is if I could fit more than 3 words of French together in the correct order. (to say nothing of pronunciation)

packerguy: I wonder how much of the 'expertise' within the NGO world was sucked up by the govt?

But that's another question.

Thanks again for clearing things up for me.