1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Next years timetable and more surprise subjects!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by RobNewman, Jul 13, 2016.

1. RobNewman

RobNewman New commenter

Hi all,

Just wanted to get some opinions and thoughts of where I could go with September's timetable I have found in my pigeon hole this morning...

I trained to be a music teacher and two years ago, on the 1st of September, I realised my timetable included a fair chunk of PD/PSHE. I went along with it and it hasn't been too bad; they even increased the number of PD lessons for this academic year which I can't say I've enjoyed but struggled through it.

So this morning I find Septembers timetable in my pigeon hole & I have 6 lessons of RE a week in addition to the music and PD lessons. :-( And all without a single whisper of this change. Speaking with colleagues I am not the only PD teacher now with RE on their timetable and there has been a whole school change to PSHE provision; some year groups getting collapsed timetable sessions whilst others are having it shoehorned into their RE lessons.

Does anyone know where I stand on this? I came into teaching to be a music teacher & year by year that is being diminished. I have also had the delights of capability process between December & April this year, which I came through positively but was a massively stressful time and triggered severe psoriasis which I had never suffered from before. Speaking to my union rep he was under the impression that if given RE then you have to teach it unless you have religious grounds not to teach it (although he is going to check this with the area rep.)

Any advice would be greatly received.

Cheers

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I am fairly sure the HT may direct you to teach whatever s/he fancies. You cannot refuse. You have QTS and are expected to be deployed as the HT thinks fit.

Sorry.

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

You could try telling the school that you are militant atheist (or fundamental Christian/Muslim/Jew etc) who is so grateful for this wonderful opportunity to proselytise your views to the pupils.

Be a pretty complacent SLT who didn't quickly remove you from the RE dept if you tel them this convincingly...;)

4. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

Being religious oneself is not a valid reason to refuse to teach RE. And you follow a syllabus or SoW, so proselytising your personal views could land you in even deeper trouble.

I agree with @grumpydogwoman. You can be directed to teach ANY subject. QTS means that you are a teacher primarily and your subject is secondary. All you can do is request HoD support.

5. FrankWolley

I don't think you've actually 'got' the point of my post, old chap...o_O

hasslethehog and sabrinakat like this.
  6. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Then you'll probably find yourself being investigated via Prevent and who knows where that might lead.

OP, the Head will direct you as to your duties. In the past, as a SENCo, I've taught PHSE, RE, Key Skills, ASDAN, to KS 3. Not what I wanted and not what I thought I signed up for, but there you are.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

They can give you 'A' level maths if they like. They won't because results would suffer. But they may do so.

How do you imagine supply teachers get gigs? You just have a go at any old thing.

8. FrankWolley

Supply teachers sign up for that...The OP hasn't.

Whilst the HT can direct the OP to teach any subject, there is something different about RE and I can understand that some people wouldn't want to teach it. For moral/philosophical/religious reasons...

9. FrankWolley

Only if the OP chooses the Muslim option...which wouldn't be the one I'd choose.

RobNewman likes this.
  10. RobNewman

RobNewman New commenter

Thanks guys.

I put Jedi on my last census form so maybe the young Padwans still have chance to find the force and positive ways to use it. I wouldn't like them joining the darkside of SLT!

ValentinoRossi and sabrinakat like this.
  11. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Would there be enough music to fill your timetable?
    If not then you don't really have a leg to stand on, they have to give you something to fill your time.

curious-cat and DYNAMO67 like this.
  12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I haven't even got a timetable for next year yet.

13. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

I sympathise, having taught a lot of subjects when music's time allocation was reduced at my last school. On the positive side, it's better to teach a fair few lessons of one or two extra subjects, than one or two lessons each of 5 or more different subjects, when you really do feel like you are just plugging gaps and sharing lots of groups. Also, you can sell it in future job applications as showing you are adaptable, and willing to take on new challenges... It's nicer to be asked, but if you're now definitely doing it, see if you can get some resources to have a look at over the summer, so that September is as easy as possible. Thinking ahead to next year, if there isn't enough music to fill your timetable, consider trying to get experience in another subject you'd like to teach, so you have a chance of being considered to teach that in the future.

DYNAMO67 likes this.
  14. ValentinoRossi

:eek::eek::eek:

15. ValentinoRossi

Ahhhh. Sorry, Frank. Scrambled egg brain today.

BTW, I'm not a chap. I'm a chapess ;)

16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Teach RE through the medium of music!

grumpydogwoman and RedQuilt like this.
  17. TrueFaith

TrueFaith New commenter

Not necessarily, the Prevent strategy looks at many different areas of extremism!

18. FrankWolley

I've got a feeling, like referring to both men & women as 'actors' these days, 'chap' is pretty gender indeterminate...But I have noted your comment!

19. FrankWolley

Doubt it does 'extreme atheism', which would be my choice.

'Thank you, Head, for giving me the opportunity to disabuse these young minds of the lie that is religious belief.. I will make it my main aim to undermine any and all evidence of any 'faith' that these pupils have at the start of the year. I'm sure their parents will thank me and the school...'

sabrinakat likes this.
  20. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Genius idea :D.