1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Next year...

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by cosmos, Dec 27, 2011.

1. I have thoroughly enjoyed cooking this Christmas. I was well organised, it wasn't hard, everything went according to plan but I was shattered afterwards. I hardly got off the sofa yesterday - although I managed to walk the dog and cook a goose - and was in bed by 9!
    So, next year I have decided that I will do cold turkey, salads etc for Christmas day or perhaps just cook something nice but undemanding for Mr C and me and have the family on Boxing day instead , and do the cold thing.
    Is it just me? Is it because that I'm getting older that I found it so tiring? I don't want to feel like this again!

2. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

I did this one year, full on English breakfast for late lunch, and cold cuts/smoked salmon, various salads and jacket potatoes for Christmas dinner around 4pm. I preferred it, but it was spoilt by my mother asking my step-father very loudly "So, dis you miss your turkey then? It isn't Christmas without roast turkey..."

Nothing about how nice the food and wine was.

Never done it since, but might resurrect it next year now you've mentioned it...

Think possibly you're shattered because your body has switched off and relaxed?

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Good job you didn't cook the dog and walk the goose!! [​IMG]

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Me too Cosmos. I was fully prepared and ahead of myself but still felt bloody exhausted Christmas night to the point I physically hurt!
    Yesterday wasn't much better but cooked up another good feed then went to a party and got second wind.
    This morning all house guests have left (2 grown up offspring, my Mum, brother and nephew) and it is now just me and Mr Belle. We've tidied up, fed dobbins and chickens and are now just curled up on the sofa doing sweet F A!
    Lovely!

5. Hah! So it is an age thing then.........*cosmos ducks*

6. henriette

henriette New commenter

My big meal is tomorrow:
    • Christmas eve we were with friends
    • Christmas Day was just the 4 of us
    • Boxing Day we were with friends
    • today we came home
    • tomorrow my family descends!!!

7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Ermmmm...............yes!
    *slap*

8. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I feel really tired today and I am sure I wasn't this tired last year - I can't decide whether it is because I have 2 children this year, because I've got broken ribs and my painkillers and zonking me out or a combination of the two.

9. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

All of the above, I'd say! Hope you're better very soon, EG!

10. I'm not surprised you're tired EG. A new baby, a toddler, broken ribs........mind numbing painkillers! This time last year you had none of the above!
    I hope you are getting help and are taking time to recover. I'm just getting old and there's no cure for that [​IMG]