1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Next week - In between SATs

Discussion in 'Primary' started by salofi, May 8, 2011.

1. We will do a maximum of 30 mins revision a day... The rest of the time will be spent doing extra PE, Art and ICT!

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Mornings are tests and revision:
    We are doing the reading test, then a maths lesson (revision games and past past questions for my set) on Mon.
    Tuesday is the writing tests, then a maths lesson.
    Wednesday maths test, creative working time, short calculator fun lesson in the afternoon.
    Thursday is maths test, then creative working.
    Afternoons are more creative times for the children. Thursday and Friday are the level 6 tests for those doing them.

3. Apart from the tests my kids are going to be doing Robo Lab, cooking, PE and Art. I will do a 30min maths lesson on Tuesday afternoon recapping over key vocab. As I have said to my kids, they have done the hard work and they need to stay relaxed to remember what I have told them. Whats the point in stressing them out anymore and creating yet more work for yourself?

I cannot wait until next week is over and done with so I can actually enjoy teaching again and forget about the damn SATs!

4. Me too sparklesocks.
    Art, ICT, PE, 'fun science'

Good luck to everyone

5. Two P.E. 'wacky races' afternoons, 2 art afternoons and a quiz that isn't linked to school in any way! Will probably fit a little bit of maths in before Wednesday as well. We've done the past questions thing to death and what they don't know now about how to tackle the problems isn't worth knowing!!

6. rach1968

rach1968 New commenter

Interesting - I was going to do maths revision Mon/Tues am after the Lit tests. I felt it was overkill doing more of the same in the afternoons. My Yr group partner disagrees, think I'll try and put my foot down then - chill out time and something more creative I hope it will be. Many thanks for all your thoughts. x

7. rach1968

rach1968 New commenter

Ah well, that went well. Poor kids in my school, SATs revision only - am/pm - when not doing SATs.According to my yr group partner, '...our kids will want to do revision......' Lovely.

8. Gratzia

Gratzia New commenter

I agree with you rach1968,
    I'm revising in every bit of spare time this week. Will have the odd 20 mins chill out time.
    Why stop now? My children know that their hard work continues until 10:30am on Thursday - then are we going to have fun for the rest of this week! Can't wait.

9. I've said the same to my class - though have also let them know to ask me if they have any specific areas they wish to look at and that we can look at them in small groups during assembly time.

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Why poor kids? We are doing more creative tasks in the afternoons, but it isn't party time until Thursday afternoon. Friday afternoon for those doing level 6 papers.

Certainly my maths class would be seriously unimpressed if we didn't do any more revision between now and Weds.

Make your revision lessons exciting and there is no issue at all. So you are doing maths questions, make it into a quiz. Who wants to be a millionaire works well. Play lots of general maths and VCOP games. Both important to revise concepts and then have some quiet study time. Let them choose their own maths topics some of the time and sort themselves out with pages from your text books. Maybe do a mental test or two using previous CDs to get the timing sorted.

11. What are level 6 tests? Never heard of them where do you get those from?

12. rach1968

rach1968 New commenter

Poor kids because we are doing nothing but sats until then. i didn't really say - 'let's have party time' in the afternoons, I just feel the all encompassing sats stuff is too much. And, as has been evident here, so do many others. I have already planned a quiz and didn't not want to do any revision - just not every spare moment. My more eperienced year group partner feels differently so I'll go with her judgememnt. I just wondered what others were doing (as I didn't want to get it wrong in my first year in year 6). Thanks for the additional ideas though minnie.

13. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Nooooo I didn't mean to criticise you with the 'not party time' thing. I have spent all year whinging every time SATs and 'target children' and all that are mentioned in my school. As well as pointing out that SATs are the main reason I hate being in year 6. However they do exist and so we have to do the best by our children, which includes revision. It sucks, but it is life!

I just found this activity on here which I'll be doing with my class, and possibly the year group on Wednesday pm. Fits the bill of revision, would keep your year team partner happy, but will be a lot of fun as well.
    https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/number-hunt-mental-maths-3012161/

Not sure how to do links in google chrome, so you'll have to copy and paste, sorry.

Option level 6 tests for reading, writing and maths are here:
    http://www.qcda.gov.uk/assessment/7602.aspx

14. rach1968

rach1968 New commenter

yeah, I know what you mean minnie. I really dislike them - didn't realise before how 'all encompassing' they are.I think everyone should have to spend a year in Year 6 to see how it really is. Many thanks for the ideas.

15. Spare our headteacher are a thought for me! :-( We have Ofsted in next week! Never in a million years did we think they'd come in SAT week but coming they are! Despite our headteacher complaining to them vigorously! So we're doing normal lessons in between SATs

16. Don't know what happened there! Was meant to read spare a thought for me!

17. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

Rest of the term more like- except for poor old Lagerlover! [​IMG]

18. My class are SATsed out. I'm planning to do DT each morning after the test until lunch. Then 30 minutes or so on BBC bitesize followed by RE (Catholic school) and more DT if time allows.
    Hopefully they either know it now or not.

Good luck everyone!

19. I would do absolutely nothing related to SATs whatsoever. If they don't know it by now, can you really make a difference in an extra 30 minute session? That's my plan, and it worked pretty well last year!!

20. If they don't know it by now they never will. We do a little 30 min reminder of top tips for the up coming paper then Art, lots of PE, cooking etc. Lots of chat and nuturing (our children need it) and thats it!