1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Next Steps Marking

Discussion in 'Primary' started by JDANSON, Apr 26, 2012.

1. We have begun the process of next steps marking, and it is starting to appear across the school. Our next challenge is how to make marking comments part of a progressive, consistent learning journey through a child's book. At the moment comments zig-zag from one thing to another rather than always building on previous learning. Any ideas?

2. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

How is that possible unless your are always teaching the same thing? I use next step comments and the LEA advisor said that for Year 1's it's pointless!

3. .. but who wants to be doing that? Who has the time to write 30 or more short term targets that are suficiently varied, differentiated and meaningful for each child?
    - and that is only in one area - connectives is the example you gave. ISn't the whole range of a child's learning broader and more complex than that? Somewhat warily I am wondering if the southgloshead poster is really a headteacher and that that all teachers in that school must now follow the new truth after someone has decided that SHirley CLarke did after all write the bible?
    Surely Shirley has some good ideas - as anyone who has the luxury of time outside the classroom to reflect and think and develop their ideas - but that doesn't mean they can be applied wholesale to either anyone else's classroom or school? ............
    Notwithstanding that we are under now desperate pressures to show 'progress' term on term... yet surely the practical common sense of working with large primary classes prevails and consigns such impractical ideas to the realm of the theory book to be taken, stripped down and adapted as and where appropriate or possible by choice of the classroom teacher?

Why?

4. Repost of earlier post which included a whole lot of microsoft language from god only know where.......
    I too worry about this 'challenge for a progressive, consistent
    learning journey' the zig zag as Robert Graves said has a beauty all of
    its own... do you remember.?.....
    The butterfly, a cabbage white /
    (his honest idiocy of flight) / will never now, it is too late,/ Master
    the art of flying straight / Yet has - who knows so well as I?- / A
    just sense of how not to fly; / He lurches here and there by guess / and
    god and guilelessness, / Even the acrobatic swift / has not his flying
    crooked gift.
    I think this metaphors very nicely for the older
    teacher or the learning journey (in fact both one and the same).. I
    wonder where you want to get to that you cannot get to with teachers who
    just interact with children, who might not - heaven forbid- plan their
    lessons until thye know where their children are at and even then it is
    the loosest of sketches to allow for improbability and change.
    Teachers
    who might not write anything in the books, or yet again they mght or
    something according to how they see fit. Maybe if that was accepted as
    their right to do so, their professional response to the situation maybe
    just maybe things would go with a flying crooked gift. Especially if
    the sunlight of a reflective, mentoring conversation warmed the air and
    gave confidence to fly.
    Where are the school leaders who have this
    understanding and the confidence to talk about learning as a varied and
    uncertain, that interaction and relationship is at the core of
    learning?

All things, pass./ Stupidities, pass./ Empires in the sun and golden / thrones with temporary
    deities, pass./ Target setting, goal getting / fast-track singular agendas,
    pass./ Governmental mandarins / with double-folding paper
    chins, pass./............give to them plenitude and
    variety / but worry not / that it be ordered and
    consistent, / they are hungry / let it be random and
    continuous / they will devour it all the
    same / growing irregularly, / opening their patterns before
    the sun/ each with their own beautiful
    symmetry.................../ Take a different way, / register immediacy, / Let go, / be fluid. / Flow lightly./ Listen deeply./ Spread wide. /All the rest is unimportant.

5. I can reassure you that I am indeed a HT - who is also a LLE. I can also reassure you that all my staff do have time to complete the short term targets and consistently developmentally mark work. You ask the question 'why?'. The answer is simple - because it rapidly and consistently raises both attainment and progress in every year-group (we have very clear data to show this). Why 'Shirley Clarke'? - because it provides a consistent approach, which is what is critical in bringing about the improvements we have seen.

6. thanks for you reply. I don't know what a LLE is.
    Do they do this because they wish to do this as reflective professionals who find it makes them work more sensitive, satisfied, challenged and inspired in their teaching with a greater understanding of children? or because it has been imposed upon them?
    Is the mantra of 'progress' really so all-consuming? Surley (shirley) the only way that staff can annotate so many targets and mark to such an extent is by working many hours extra after school- which is not a sustainalble game changer as sooner or later people will burn out, stress-out or wish to leave. Is it Is it short-term change to show improvements in targets or has it released a whole new satisfying, creative apporach to relationships and interaction?
    I ask out of genuine curiosity and concern. There is something about the energy required to drive the dynamics of teaching that seem incompatible with so much accountancy work.

7. I woke up this morning and the thought occured to me that schools really ought to be strong enough to allow teachers to be developed and independent personalities. In fact it ought to promote that as its aim. Children 'learn what they live' the old adage 'do as I do not as I say' And we show them that it is right to accept thelatest nonsense or fad as gospel, to discard your own conscience to follow a method or scheme.
    What do I mean? I think a person who feels realised in what they are doing, ie fulfilled, almost sublimely connected with life and their chosen, or at least assumed, role will be a person functioning at their optimum, balnaced, caring, challenging and yet also aware that there is much more to life than being prodded and poked to demonstrate progress whether you are achild or a teacher. If we consider progress a mch greater degree of uniformity between teachers and pupils I for one, and I am only one, do not think that this progress.To take the time to look insode the life of each child and see there where you can make a difference.
    I do not recall teachers for the uniformity of their comments in my notebooks, or the blandness of a corporate body who all were and look and speak the same or who have an invented accronym for their title. This may suit the suits - the inspectors and SMT - but it is not about teaching or about education. I recall the crazy geography teacher who threw chalk and board dusters in secondary (god forbid now), the sixth form maths teacher as old as her fading two piece suit (would be under capability now) , the primary teacher who allowed us to write and perform plays (wouldn´t have fitted a neat plan) , the legs of student teacher who played us 'down in demerera' on the guitar (no LO WILF or WALT). the one who slapped us around the legs for not going to mass (as if we had a choice), the two poems that I ever got taught by the wife of the PE teacher (wouldn´t pass the CB check) , the sports teacher whose comment in the midst of battle hit a point that was the fount of character - deep inside. Nothing terribly significant about the memories, everyone will have their own that is the course of life.
    I just wonder if we are forgetting what we are about when we talk about 'progress', 'sustained'.

8. Yohanalicante, I have absolutely no idea what you are on about! Are you on something 'herbal'? Can I have some?! [​IMG]

9. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I think yohana is writing about the, erm, somewhat prescriptive nature of schooling these days. I agree that teachers should be free to use their personal professional judgement on many many things, including how to mark work.