1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Next step?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Hels_SX, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Hels_SX

Hels_SX New commenter

Hey everyone,

I've been working as a teaching assistant in a primary school for around a year now. I was just wondering how I manage to move on to the next step of becoming a teacher myself? I really love my class and the school I'm currently working at, but I just want to feel a sense of progression. Does anyone have any advice to offer me?

Thanks in advance,

Helena :)

2. BYusuf

BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

Hi Helena,

Have you spoken to anyone in your present school about the possibility of training to become a teacher?

The main routes you follow are:
    1. One year university-based PGCE courses if you already have a degree.
    2. School Direct route (salaried / unsalaried options)
    3. Three-year university-based ITE courses, which you don’t necessarily need a degree for.
    This link will give you more details about routes into teaching:
    https://www.ucas.com/ucas/teacher-training/postgraduate-teacher-training-england

Regards,
    B

3. Hels_SX

Hels_SX New commenter

I've asked a little, but I don't really want them to think I want to leave, I'm just weighing up my future options! I'm going to look at those routes and the link you've sent me, thank you so much! :D

BYusuf likes this.
  4. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Do you want full class responsibility or do you want to be a relief teacher?
    As the above poster has said, if you already have a degree, you need to complete a one year PGCE to gain QTS.
    I know of HLTA’s that have been in the job for a couple of years cover teachers who are on maternity. They are not qualified teachers but they are experienced enough to be able to teach- the HLTA’s are supported by a qualified teacher and provide assistance where required.
    For me, in my school where I am HT, all of the staff that teach lessons are qualified teachers including the cover supervisors. My TAs and HLTAs support student learning on a 1 on 1 basis and do not have full responsibility for a class. They are not qualified nor employed to be doing that kind of work.