1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Next step - 10 years experience but no certificate yet

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by einav23, Apr 17, 2016.

  1. einav23

    einav23 New commenter

    Dear all,

    I'm a musician, music teacher and composer, and have taught general music in different bilingual schools, smaller international schools for more than 10 years, however never as full time (not many schools offer full time music teacher positions besides the big intl schools).
    I hold a Masters degree from a very prestigious conservatory in the USA in music performance.

    I'd like to advance my career and be able to apply for more full time positions, and it (rightfully) seems that in order to win more opportunities, I'd need to earn some kind of a teaching certificate or degree.

    I'm not British, and I don't think I will work in the UK, I'm mainly focusing on international schools in Europe and Asia.

    Which diploma should I strive to earn? what is your recommendation?

    Thank you so much!
  2. sabrinakat

    sabrinakat Star commenter

    I'd repost this down in Teaching Overseas as there are quite a few experienced posters, such as @the hippo, who might be able to help.

    Good luck!
  3. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    Go for it! My advice would be to cast your bread on the waters and see what comes back to you. If you have good references and some relevant experience, then by all means apply for jobs and see what turns up. Most international schools, even small ones, will have at least one full-time Music teacher.
  4. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter


    If you are not thinking of teaching in the UK, then you might consider the International PGCE which does not qualify you for UK teaching, but has been done by teachers working in international schools.

    If you google it, you will see several UK universities offer this It is part-time distance learning.

    Best wishes


Share This Page