1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Next move?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by JayeTigger, Oct 3, 2018.

1. JayeTigger

JayeTigger New commenter

Hi Tessers,
    I am a teacher on UPS1 with management experience at two previous schools.

I stated a teaching job with management responsibilities at the beginning of this academic year and have just today handed my notice in with immediate effect as agreed with the SLT and the union.

I am devastated that it has come to this. I never envisaged being in jobless but I couldn’t physically or mentally carry on being at that particular school for a number of reasons.

My GP suggested counciling which I am
    happy to try out. I do truly believe that it was the circumstances at the school that made me deeply unhappy to the point that I was ill. I didn’t have time to eat or sleep properly due to the demands of the school which has never happened before.

Now I’m out of the situation that made me feel so overwhelmed, alone, and fearful, I am scared that I will never get another job.

What are my chances of being employed again with this track record? I am expensive and now it looks like I quit after 4 weeks.

Sorry for moaning on but I do feel that after many years of successful and happy teaching, I’ve ruined berything with one wrong move. These thoughts aren’t helping my recovery.

2. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I think this could turn out to be a very valuable experience for you. It certainly won't impair your chances of getting another job, many many teachers have a bad experience like this, then move on. Ad if you go back into management you will have a far better understanding and empathy for any of your staff that are struggling, and will be a much better manager for it

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Hi @JayeTigger I'm sorry you've come to this point.
    At the moment you will feel as if the sky has fallen on your head. You will be suffering from some symptoms of stress and anxiety and need to allow these to work out of your system. Pamper yourself a bit, get some exercise and allow yourself to get some perspective. Also, get out and meet people, especially if you live on your own.
    You had management experience at two previous schools, so they must have thought something of you. Once the dust has settled, have a look round, it may be supply for a bit, but maybe this will lead to regrowth and repair.
    Good luck

Stormy861, dunnocks and freckle06 like this.