1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Next discovers something teachers have known for years...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Aquamarina1234, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Lamenting the "difficult" experience of working from home, they offered:
    "Worst of all, perhaps, large video calls have encouraged the proliferation of one of the business world's most damaging practices - death by deck," it said.
    Explaining further, it said this meant "slideshow presentations that transform meetings from productive exchanges of ideas into boring, one-way lectures, with the 'presenters' rattling through bullet points already visible to their stultified audience".

Has anyone ever been to a staff meeting in school that wasn't like that?

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

That is every teacher driven meeting I've ever been to. Only time it changed was when someone who'd been working out in Industry led a meeting... suddenly it was productive, had results, we left the room wanting to actually implement changes.

Different mindset.

Teaching doesn't produce "leaders". If one emerges then he/she is a rare pearl and must be treasured.

3. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

This is also this to think about...

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/en...f525810c5b6578026cd2ac6?utm_hp_ref=uk-opinion

"Since the start of the pandemic, tech companies such as InterGuard, Hubstaff and Vericlock – just some of the software than can track everything from the amount of hours one spends on a laptop, to the type of content they are viewing and how long they spend on specific websites – have all seen sales increases.

Until recently, even widely used platforms like Zoom had functions where bosses could check on their employees without them being aware, and functions that would demand their attention at a whim"

4. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Really? Our CPD was much better when teaching staff did it. None ever did Death By Powerpoint. Plus they modelled things that actually worked, as they knew the children in our school.
    But these were experienced teachers; if you're talking about Shiny Suit who taught for about five minutes before he decided he'd be a great school LEADER, drinking Skinny Milkshakes in his office all day, with the occasional 'Learning Walk' to harrass teachers who actually taught, then I completely agree with you!

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

See my experience is that "experienced teachers" were thinned out by the indiscriminate application of the capability sword.

Oscillatingass likes this.
  6. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

Today I was asked to participate in a meeting like that. Asked to read slides. Mortified doesn't begin to describe it.

7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Those who attended mine.

8. jet786

jet786 New commenter

Ah Learning Walks..Someone in our admin they should be resurrected the last couple of years for all the new teachers who thought they were brand new. Still not sure what was the purpose spending 3-5 mins in a class taking notes of what you see, and the teacher not getting any feedback from it..good or bad..

9. jet786

jet786 New commenter

I was asked to teach classes like that...by the head..just stand and deliver...It frustrates me when a presenter turns and reads slides that I am capable of reading and understanding. That is not presenting. Never see that on a TED talk.

colacao17 and emerald52 like this.