1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Newspaper Writing

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by Chatterbox1607, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Chatterbox1607

Chatterbox1607 New commenter

I am pretty new to teaching so I havent yet covered news paper writing with children. How do you noramally introduce this to children? I have my task planned over two weeks but I am not sure how to get children to plan in a news paper format or how they should begin writing for this task.
    Any help would be very much appreciated thanks.

2. What stage are they and have they any previous experience? I've found that many children don't read news papers and so find it hard to see how it's different to writing a story (apart from the layout). I would advise starting with looking at newspapers -FirstNews if your school get it. Break down the story into Who, What, Where and When. Look at the layout and headline. I would suggest a longer time frame perhaps linking it in with a topic.

3. coaltown1

coaltown1 New commenter

My P2 class did newspaper writing (we started with a visit from a local journalist) where they looked at the different types of articles you can find - fact giving, human interest, adverts, puzzles etc.We split the class into groups who dealt with one of those areas and linked it with our dinosaur project.They wrote a report on their class trip, Every two weeks we changed groups so they each had a chance at each type of writing. We used one of the Microsoft Word newsletter formats to lay out the paper, involving them in editing their work to fit the available space. They had to interview each other and collect information, take photographs etc. Great fun!

4. Chatterbox1607

They are a p4 class. I don't think they have much if any experience of newspaper writing. I will try and gather in local newspapers for children to look at...instead of national. Or do you think the herald and such like would be good to buy for them? I like your idea of the 5 W's I will use this thanks :). I want them to research a task then write a newspaper article about it...so maybe if I get them to look at newspapers and discuss them and then get them to research it...and plan in their jotters and then get them to write their final copy on the newspaper a4 print out I have for them.

5. Chatterbox1607

What is the best way to introduce healines to children for them then to be able to create their own?

6. At school today I heard about a headline writing competition on a children's news site called "The Daily What": http://www.dailywhat.org.uk/2011/10/headline-competition-2011.aspx Could help inject a bit of competition/purpose into your activities.