1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Newspaper Writing KS2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by EmmaJ18, Nov 23, 2015.

1. EmmaJ18

EmmaJ18 New commenter

I am currently writing newpapers with my Year 6 class about a topic related event that they are really familiar with. Because they are so familar with the event, and have done other genres of writing based around it, it almost seems too descriptive and more fictional/diary like than a newspaper e.g. the direct speech they are adding is really irrelevent and more like dialogue you might use in a story conversation than a meaninful newspaper quote. Also it seems overly descriptive as opposed to factual and succinct. We have spent several lessons looking at the features of newspapers, read many examples, practiced specific skills e.g. direct/reported speech, have done modelled/shared writing with them, and it has also been the genre of our guided reading for the last 3 weeks so they are well-read within the genre.

For some reason isn't quite feeding into their writing style and I'm not sure how to really get this across to them in a clear way to then steer their writing back to a more appropriate style. I do have a high quality wagoll which I thought they could possibly compare to their own but not sure this would break down exactly what it is they need to do in order to improve their own - it's really difficult to describe! Any suggestions welcome if anything I've attempted to describe makes sense and you have anything tried/tested that has worked in the past or if you have had similar issues! Many thanks!

2. teslagirls1

teslagirls1 New commenter

How about using the newspaper report triangle or iceberg? The top of the triangle represents the opening first few sentences of the report to answer the five w questions . these sentences need to be succinct and to the point. The triangle is usually drawn upside down but i think normal way helps focus things better.Look at real life examples, local papers are often better than nationals for this, and get the children to highlight how many of the five ws are answered in the first couple of sentences. Then get them to add more detail as they go down the triangle related to the opening. There are some good resources here www.scoopit

3. missrturner

missrturner Occasional commenter

Have you tried having both texts side by side and having the children working through both and highlighting the differences? Perhaps using an example from the children's own work with their consent could help. By using a tick sheet and going through both side by side they can see they shouldn't be using a certain feature in the newspaper as it belongs in diary entry. Having a big piece of paper in the middle with the tick list and two examples to highlight and work through could help. Would only need to be a quick 15 minute task and then perhaps they could look at their own diary entry and repeat.