1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Newspaper Report Literacy Lesson

Discussion in 'Primary' started by marlin, Mar 4, 2012.

1. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

2. When I did newspaper reports with my Y3/4 class I realised that a lot of them weren't actually sure what a newspaper is (very mixed catchment and mixed abilities) - I brought in a variety of papers and gave them sticky labels to work in groups identifying features - masthead, headline, columns etc. - the children really enjoyed it, lots of good quality learning talk and it set us up well for the rest of the unit. Might not be applicable for your class, but just a thought!

3. Thanks, they're really good ideas. I'm also in a very mixed catchment area with mixed abilities (majority quite low ability), the class actually covered all this the other week, so should hopefully be ok on features of a newspaper. I have to focus more on speech and developing sentence structure and punctuation.

4. Depending on the maturity levels of your class, I made some Gruffalo posters for speech mark rules which went down well with my class... http://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Gruffalo-Speech-Mark-Rules-Posters-6161522/
    Otherwise we did lots of drama - interviewing etc. and mostly we wrote about trips/events in schools - so not got much that would be relevant. Good luck!