1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Newspaper Article

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Chatterbox1607, May 7, 2012.

1. Chatterbox1607

Chatterbox1607 New commenter

What is the best publication to use to allow children to type up their completed newspaper articles completed in class? Thanks in advance.

2. Chatterbox1607

What is the best publication to use to allow children to type up their completed newspaper articles completed in class? Thanks in advance.

3. Define 'best'. How about notepad?

4. What do you want to do ? How much money have you got to spend? What software have you already got ?

5. Chatterbox1607

Nothing too fancy...just a publication that is in a template of a news paper article...already in columns for the children to begin typing if possible.

6. So you mean software. I assume you have access to a desktop publishing program, such as Microsoft Publisher. Try that.

7. So you want a DTP really. Could look at Microsoft Publisher or Serif PagePlus . There is a free DTP app called Scribus which I don't know much about but it has a good reputation.
    You could use Word/OpenOffice and set it up for columns.
    Do you already have the template or are you going to create one for them to fill in ?
    Also (obviously) need to think about age/ability level.

8. Do a Google search for "Newspaper Templates for Kids". You'll be amazed at what you find!

9. Scribus isn't a toy and not really suitable if you just want something like Publisher. You need to do your initial design before importing the individual elements.
    If it's just for appearance rather than skill then even Word is an easy option.

10. LinW2010

LinW2010 New commenter

Why oh why powerpoint? I've already seen kids using powerpoint for absolutely everything! If you're showing them ICT skills, surely they should be using a piece of software designed for page layout, i.e. DTP software like Publisher (which is very nearly identical to Powerpoint to use anyway) or Serif PagePlus.

11. Chatterbox1607

Thankyou for all your replies I will take a look at the software and powerpoint download.