1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Newsfeed Settings

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by EC_Resources, Apr 18, 2019.

1. EC_Resources

EC_Resources Occasional commenter

Hey Tes Staff,

Are there any plans for users to be able to change their newsfeed settings? I ask because many of us have spent the last few years encouraging people to follow us on Tes, so they can see when we upload new resources.
    At the moment, no one can see when people they follow add new resources. Here is what the newsfeed looks like (there's loads more but that's as small as I could minimise my screen and still make it readable):

upload_2019-4-18_10-12-52.png

Now there's nothing wrong with seeing news articles, per se, but I didn't subscribe to seeing these - no one did. They've just appeared and there seems to be dozens, daily! If you follow any of the new groups too you get a notification that takes up a quarter of your feed every time a new member joins. If you're going the way of a social media platform, you need to allow people to update their newsfeed preferences.

So can there please be some way of us choosing our newsfeed settings- a way that is clear to everyone, so people don't miss it when authors they follow upload new resources?

Many thanks,

Emily

2. penyrheol1

penyrheol1 New commenter

Hi Emily

Is this another case of the website somehow providing different functions for different people. I get notifications when some of the people I follow upload a resource. A few months ago there were notifications for everyone I follow but now it is only for some.

Gill

3. tesAuthorTeam

tesAuthorTeam Administrator Staff Member TES Authors' forum host

The news feed function is shared by all the different services that Tes provides as we have users with varying interests. We are aware that visibility of certain aspects of the business have increased on the news feed in recent months. The feed will be updated with the most recent activity from a range of different parts of the website and this includes followed authors. We are not currently aware of any intended changes to the news feed functionality but your suggestion is one that we will keep in mind.

[Richard]

4. nwilkin

nwilkin New commenter

I joined a couple of groups to see what they are about but as they took up so much of my home screen I left them again very quickly as they were so annoying. Even though I have left these groups I am still getting the annoying updates. How can I stop these appearing on my home screen?

5. tesAuthorTeam

Thanks for making us aware of this issue, it's being looked into.

nwilkin likes this.
  6. nwilkin

nwilkin New commenter

This is what mine looks like at the moment even though I have left the two groups it still likes to tell me who has joined. It means I can not see any notifications from the people I am following.

homescreen.png

7. EC_Resources

EC_Resources Occasional commenter

Yeah this is what mine looks like too. @tesAuthorTeam could you please pass on to your techy guys and gals that it would be a great idea if we could have newsfeed settings? As at the moment, this is possibly the only social newsfeed in existence without preference settings.

Every person is automatically set to follow Tes Ina - and there is no way of unfollowing this person! It means we get little red numbers appear on our profile saying we have 70+ notifications sometimes when we log in. This is pretty stressful and can put people off even looking at their newsfeed.
    Also, there is no way followers are going to see their favourite resource authors new items, as they are hidden in the mass of irrelevant notifications.
    This could possibly mean a small drop in income for Tes - if this puts it in terms that have a bit more clout.

So, sorry if I'm repeating myself - I realise nothing is planned at the moment - and thanks for answering that - but can you please pass this as a suggestion to the teach team - maybe for the next experimental tech day if you still have those?

8. tesAuthorTeam

Thanks everyone, I've passed the ideas and concerns along.

[Richard]