1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NEWMAN PRIMARY PGCE

Discussion in 'Primary' started by CharlotteBickerton, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I am just wandering if anyone can help... I am due to start applying for a PGCE in September and would like to know your thoughts if you've been to Newman Uni in Birmingham.

My boyfriend goes there at the moment and is finding his course (Sport Science) very badly organised. For example, work is taking 3 months to be returned, teachers are never there for support, lectures are often cancelled with no prior notice... They are generally just very disorganised.

I am wandering whether this is the same in PGCE courses?

I have read that the Uni can make or break a PGCE- placing you in schools too far away, lack of support, bad organisation, loads of evidence required for QTS folder.

Can anyone help shed some light on Newman's primary PGCE programme?

1. How long are the placements? 6 weeks each or a longer one at the end?
    2. How much evidence is required for QTS folder?
    3. How many assignments were you given?
    4. Was the support lacking?

Thanks in advance!

2. Hi all,

I am just wandering if anyone can help... I am due to start applying for a PGCE in September and would like to know your thoughts if you've been to Newman Uni in Birmingham.

My boyfriend goes there at the moment and is finding his course (Sport Science) very badly organised. For example, work is taking 3 months to be returned, teachers are never there for support, lectures are often cancelled with no prior notice... They are generally just very disorganised.

I am wandering whether this is the same in PGCE courses?

I have read that the Uni can make or break a PGCE- placing you in schools too far away, lack of support, bad organisation, loads of evidence required for QTS folder.

Can anyone help shed some light on Newman's primary PGCE programme?

1. How long are the placements? 6 weeks each or a longer one at the end?
    2. How much evidence is required for QTS folder?
    3. How many assignments were you given?
    4. Was the support lacking?

Thanks in advance!

3. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

I did my PGCE at Newman a few years ago (KS2/3 Science so not primary but 2 out of my 3 placements were primary and we did a lot of the same modules)
    1. I'm not sure about the length of primary placements but ours were 3 X 7/8 weeks. We did the 2nd half term of each term pretty much if that makes sense.
    2. I ended up with 2 folders worth of evidence, some people had more, some had less. They generally expect 2 or 3 pieces of evidence for each standard across different placements where possible.
    3. We had 2 assignments for Science (as that was out main subject), then 1 for each of English, Maths, Broader Curriculum and Educational Professional Studies.
    4. I found the support to be really good. All my lecturers were really good, approachable and willing to help.

BTW...placing you in schools too far away...do you realise how many people are doing teacher training at any one time? A huge number. Newman not only has primary PGCE to place but KS2/3 courses in Science, ICT and MFL (well it did when I was there) and the 3 year programmes. They need to find placements for all these students. Within the Birmingham and wider area they are competing with Birmingham, BCU, Warwick and Wolverhampton as well as the BTTP SCITT course. They do their best to find you a school close to home but this can't always happen. I was lucky as all 3 of my schools were within a 20 minute drive away but I know some people who had further to travel.

4. tange

tange New commenter

It doesn't sound like the Newman College that I went to a few years ago.... it would be a real shame if it has gone down hill so badly.
    Mind you..... I have just realised that I left in 2001!!!!
    I did Sport Science at Newman and it was nothing like you described above.
    Are you on facebook? It might be worth you looking for the Newman group on there and posting your question to current students.
    Good luck.

5. I did my PGCE Primary there 5 years ago (as well as my degree before this) and I found it a great place. Some of the lecturers wereamazing and I still think and use some of their advice now. I think some of them won awards for lecturer of the year.
    Teaching seems to be a small world and I always come across other teachers that went to Newman on courses and in schools etc.
    I would recommend it !!

6. Thank you to all who have replied! That is very reassuring!!! I have heard that the college/ uni makes a big difference to your overall PGCE experience so it seems important to get a good place.
    How did you find the PGCE?? Was it as super hard as everyone says??
    Also, I know there is competition for placement schools, I was simply wandering as I have heard some schools can be. A 3 hour drive away?! And obviously a 6 hour round trip will make placements an awful lot harder to do!! Can you remember the longest drive anyone had on the course?
    Thank you so much everyone!! I am worrying a fair bit about the workload and placements etc :s

7. The PGCE was, and i am being 100% honest, the hardest year of my life.
    At times i felt i didnt have time to wash my hair ( as strange as that sounds))
    However it is now absolutely worth it but not easier, you just learn to deal with
    the stress, pressure and workload better. I feel maybe i made parts of the course harder for
    myself as i wanted to make resources myself, went to the library whenever i could, Stayed
    as late as i could on placements to do displays and spent hours on planning and assessment
    but i wouldnt change a thing and i feel very strongly about teaching and giving 110% and not
    doing the minimum to get by.
    I never knew anyone to travel 3 hours away. My longest drive was
    roughly 20 mins while on placement however my first job was an hour away.
    As long as you go into placements willing to learn ( as it does make you look at yourself alot and reflect)
    You will be fine. You learn so much in a year but dont tjink you know it all by the end! !!

8. Erinjunior, thank you for replying again! I am very appreciative. How many hours a week did you work outside of placement? I have heard people saying that they get to bed at 1am to be up at 6am every day whilst on placement just to get the work done. My Mom did a PGCE at Newman (About a billion years ago now!!) and said she worked approximately 2 and a half hours a night and all day Saturday. Has it changed much?

I just want to get a realistic idea of what is involved before signing my life away for a year!

I live at home with my parents and boyfriend so I am just wandering if I will really be invisible to them for the weeks whilst on placement?!

Thank you very much!!

9. Erinjunior, thanks for replying again :) I am sure I want to be a teacher- absolutely 100%. The workload on PGCE I don't think will bother me too much but I am not the kind of person who will ever let anything completely control my life. I am envisaging myself working 3 hours each night plus all day Saturday and a few hours Sunday. I will not be one of these people who insist on reiventing the wheel and letting the PGCE take over my life. It is 20 weeks-ish of placement and I will of course work my socks off but I will not have no free time for myself. Does this sound reasonable? 3 hours work a night plus Saturday all day and Sunday for a few hours? Or is that overly naïve?

Just trying to get an idea of what is involved!

Don't know what's happening to my paragraphs lol! Thank you again for replying, its very useful to get an idea of what's involved in PGCE.

Wake up at 6, school for 7.30ish, work through breaks and lunches, stay after school for an hour, 3 hours work a night and Saturday all day and a few hours Sunday if necessary?

10. I think while on placement it depends what year group your on to how
    much time is spent after school. For example younger year groups will need more
    classroom prep where as higher up the school will have more marking which you
    can take home. You will prob find that this changes as you go through your diff placements
    as in your final placement alot more is expected of you. For example you will be expected
    to do displays, complete daily evaluations, assess the children etc as well as plan prepare and
    Teach most of the week so you will obviously have more
    to do at the end of the day

11. Does that sound like a reasonable expectation of the PGCE workload to you?

About 25 hours a week on top of school time? I do understand it will be difficult and time consuming but I don't want it to be all consuming... I have a boyfriend and my Mom likes to spend time as a family more or less every night. Is this an ok assumption?

Thank you for all your help so far, it really is very useful! Thanks!!!

12. Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-GB
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-qformat:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
    mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
    line-height:115%;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

To be honest it is impossible to answer how much time it will take.
    There is alot to consider really. It depends on your experience of teaching
    thus far and how much reflection you will need on your own practice, how long
    it takes to write essays, how creative you are to think up series of lessons,
    the class you will be teaching (you may need to invent/develop behaviour
    management strategies such as reward charts)

At the beginning students usually find the planning side the most difficult
    and time consuming thing as you have to write very long and in depth lesson
    plans for every session. There is a lot to get your head around with
    objectives, differentiation, working with TAs, IEP, SEN etc before you even
    start making the resources or teach the lesson. Then as a PGCE student you have
    to evaluate every taught session. So there is a lot of paper work which can
    obviously only be done when your not teaching, hence some of the jobs you will
    do after school or at home. So taking that all into account only you can decide
    how long you think that will take.

I remember in the November of starting my PGCE I didn’t have time to go to
    the Firework display for Bonfire Night with my friends (which upset me) so
    there will be times when you have to sacrifice some of your social life.
    However, when I have PGCE students now I do try to insist that they do still
    have a social life and make sure they have at least one night where they try
    not to do anything for school. However, they never listen and will always burn
    themselves out about half way through a placement.

I am aware that I seem to be a little negative so I would just like to say
    how much I LOVE the job. Maybe I am different to others in the profession and
    do a little bit to much work but it is definitely a vocation and not a job.
    Some nights I find myself doing work because I enjoy it and not because I have
    to. Although my boyfriend moans and moans at me for working!!!! I will never be a teacher who only does what I can get away with. It is a
    amazing job and I am privileged to be part of it.

13. Newman has changed a lot recently, so I've heard. A new Principal has taken over and quite a few of the long term, experienced lecturers have moved on, again so I've heard. Not sure why but change can be a goodthing, who knows. When I was there I loved it. It was slightly disorganised and at times lectures did get cancelled, but it also was a lovely place to be. The lecturers were really supportive - I hope this hasn't hanged much. I've heard that it has also had A huge update of facilities.

14. Thank you for replying. That is what I've heard. I am concerned as I know the college or Uni you study PGCE at can make a huge difference to your overall experience of the PGCE. How did you find yours UpsidedownWorld?? Did you do Primary? Was it as terrible as the horror stories I've heard?!

15. I did primary and this year am supporting a student through her teacher training at Newman. It is a good place but disorganised. When I was studying the lecturers made the place! If theyve gone it will be so different. Newman though has an excellent reputation among schools.

16. Part of the reason I'm going for Newman is due to it's reputation- I'm just hoping it isn't as disorganised as my bf's course seems to be. I can't see how it can be to be honest...

How did you find the Primary PGCE? As hard as everyone says? What were your working patterns like?