1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Newly qualified practitioner

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by elleymay1, Aug 29, 2019.

1. elleymay1

elleymay1 New commenter

Hello all :) I’m a newly qualified level 3 practitioner, I’ve had some experience in the past in early years settings as an assistant working under the level 3 staff. Ive been successful at a job interview but I’m feeling nervous about starting as I’ve not longqualified and I’ll now be working as a level 3 practitioner and will have my own keychildren and be responsible for observing, planning, assessing etc I understand therole and the eyfs standards etc but can’t help but feel worried about starting. The interviewwent well and the questions where whatyou’d expect and I was told I answered them well, it’s more doing the practical planning assessing etc that’s got me feeling nervous. Any advice at all would be greatlyappreciated :) thank you all in advance x

bekastks likes this.
  2. bekastks

bekastks New commenter

Good luck with your new position! I know a new position is stressful, but I am sure you will do well and get used to things quickly. The interview must have been successful for a reason! You've got this! I don't have any advice since I am US based and not sure how your schools operate compared to ours. My only advice is to believe in yourself. Good to chat with you.

3. robspillane

robspillane New commenter

It is pretty daunting at first because you have so many lives that are going to be looking to you as their main guidance every day.
    Most important, if you don't know ASK! No one can ever be angry with you for asking questions. You can't be expected to know everything straight away. Ask to have a look at other people's plans. You're not copying, you just want to know how to set it all out etc.
    Good practitioners share good practise! People always want to know what others are doing so feel free to ask and look at other lsles work to get the best.
    Happiness - as long as the children are happy, they will begin to learn. Concentrate on that first and make those bonds and relationships. The rest will fall into place.
    And if you get stuck, come and ask on here for advice, or anyone, or message someone! A community of people are waiting to offer help.
    Enjoy it.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Are you sure you will be doing all this? It depends on your setting and there is no 'one rule for all' by any means, but our level 3s don't do any planning or assessing. Ours also don't have key children.

However, even if you do have to do all that, there will be lots of people around to help and advise. They all had a first day once and will be kind. Relax and enjoy this last weekend and have a great time next week.

Come back next weekend and tell us how lovely and wonderful it was and what a great job you managed to do. :)

5. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

It's perfectly normal to have key children especially if thus is a nursery. The TAs have had this responsibility in every school nursery I've worked in, and in some reception classes, although less so.

You will be working under guidance of someone else whether a teacher or a room leader if this is not a school post. Take your cue from them. They will have a system in place and you will learn as you go along. First thing though is to get to know the children, the team you'll be working with and how the setting works. This takes time so don't expect to know everything straight away.

Try and just enjoy this first couple of weeks and watch your nerves settle a bit.

6. elleymay1

elleymay1 New commenter

Thank you all so much for your replies there really appreciated I will let you all know how I get on. So glad I joined this community

bekastks likes this.