1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Newly Qualified Oversesas teacher (South African)

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by sdawjee, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Hi all.
    I am a newly qualified South African teacher having done my PGCE via correspondence with a South African university. I did manage to do ten weeks of training with a school here in London as part of my course (no easy feat and had to rely on 'contacts').

My question now is how do I move forward. I have no confidence and am terrified of getting in the UK system as my studies were obviously geared to South African teaching. I have had not much experience here and no experience in South Africa and am still unsure as to how the curriculum works here.
    Any suggestions on my move forward? Should I do teaching assistance to gain experience in a classroom without the responsibility? Or should I do supply teaching? Is there any sort of induction into teaching here? Any books I could read?
    If I do supply, what are my chances of getting the QTS in the four years?
    Please, please help! Any advice would be invaluable!
    Thanks,
    Sumayya

2. kerrsa

kerrsa New commenter

Hi
    I was a fairly NQT when I came over 9 years ago with only 6 months teaching experience in SA and also studied through correspondence. I did supply for a year, then a longer term job and then found a school who put me through QTS. Process only took a few months once it got started. Lots of paperwork to collect though.

3. Hi there,

I would suggest that
    you begin by getting all your qualifications verified by NARIC to be comparable
    to UK qualifications.

Then look for a
    long-term supply post. Registering with a few agencies will help you find a
    placement. Once you are in a school make it clear from the start that you wish
    to get QTS. If the school agrees to help you do this, find the nearest OTTP training
    provider and they will send someone over to the school to get you started on
    the programme.

It is all quite a
    process but once the ball is rolling it is over within a term or two.

Good luck!

4. Thank you! I think I will try the supply teaching! Good to know there were others in the same position!

5. Thanks so much! I did get my qualification verified by Naric :) . Thats great advice- think i will start with short supply and the look for longer ones. And thanks-ill make sure sure the school knows that I want QTS.