1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Newham NQT pool interview

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by ss601se, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Hello

I have an interview with Newham to get in to their NQT pool. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice as to what the interview will be like. Is it really tough? Do you have to do any tests etc?

Any help would be really appreciated if only to calm my nerves!

Thank you

2. s_teach

s_teach New commenter

Oh god I had mine last year and to be honest it was an awful interview. I felt so intimidated by the two people interviewing me. It was like I was being interrogated for a crime. They wrote to me a week later saying that I didn't get in and when I phoned to ask for feedback they sauid,

" Well you answered the questions really well but you could have expanded me in 2 questions"
    There is no test. They do ask you to think about a lesson that you have taught and why was it good. What was the differentiation and how you could improve etc. But this was last year though.
    It is really tough to get into the Newham pool. I am assuming because it pays more. Only a handful of us actually got an interview for the pool out of the whole cohort at uni. Funny because we all had the same qualifications and similar past experiances. I got a first class in my degree so that's why I was invited to the interview.
    But it was really tough. But I have no idea what they will be like this year. I will say this though. Apply everywhere, to all of the pools near where you live and good luck!

S
    x

3. Thank you so much for your advice.

4. I had mine with the Bracknell Primary NQT Pool. All the Questions were the same repeated one. e.g which one is your best lesson, and why? Which one is your worst lesson and why? How you get into primary teaching and why? Have you assessed children, how? Why you are interested in Bracknell? I give excellent answeres, BUT the result after a week was" I am sorry you are not successful".
    I think that if my Qualification, knowledge, experience everything is qualifing the criteria of an NQT pool job then where the problem is??????????

5. Hi, I'm applying for the Newham NQT pool, and wondered if you took a portfolio with you? Are we required to take anything to the interview? Also, you said you needed to give an informal presentation about a successful lesson - what did that involve? Was it just talking about why it was a successful lesson, or did you actually have to stand up and present?
    Would very much appreciate if you could get back to me, thanks!