1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Newcastle postgraduate accomodation/ living in newcastle

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by eflood, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Hi. I will be moving to newcastle this august/september to do a PGCE course and was wondering where would people recommend to live. I am 31 and I will be moving there with my girlfriend and an another friend so there will be at least 3 or 4 of us looking for a place but dont want somewhere too hectic or noisy but also want it near newcastle uni.

Was thinking of renting a house in Jesmond or Heaton or somewhere like that as it has been recommended to me. Does anyone know any good agencies to go through or where would be the best place to look for accommodation??? Also do they do 9 months lease?? When would i need to get the accommodation sorted out by?

on another point just interested to find out what peoples opinions are of actually living in newcastle ??

any info would be really appreciated

cheers

2. Hi. I will be moving to newcastle this august/september to do a PGCE course and was wondering where would people recommend to live. I am 31 and I will be moving there with my girlfriend and an another friend so there will be at least 3 or 4 of us looking for a place but dont want somewhere too hectic or noisy but also want it near newcastle uni.

Was thinking of renting a house in Jesmond or Heaton or somewhere like that as it has been recommended to me. Does anyone know any good agencies to go through or where would be the best place to look for accommodation??? Also do they do 9 months lease?? When would i need to get the accommodation sorted out by?

on another point just interested to find out what peoples opinions are of actually living in newcastle ??

any info would be really appreciated

cheers

3. Hi, I'm back down South now but I did my degree in Newcastle. We lived in Jesmond, which really is lovely (for Newcastle) but at the more expensive end of student accommodation and a tad noisy - though that could have been down to us [​IMG]
    I had friends who lived in Fenham and Heaton - both convenient for the universities, and much quieter. One friend lived in a 3/4 bed house and I think it worked out she paid £38 p/w rent. Sandyford is another area you might want to look at: very close to Jesmond (which is practically attached to Newcastle Uni) so you can take advantage of the little 'village' of shops there. I know for a fact you can (or could 3 years ago when I graduated) get 9 month lets and as for finding somewhere, I would just Google it. There are literally tens of estate agents dealing almost exclusively with student accommodation. When we were lookign, we literally just walked into a couple and had plenty of options.
    Hope this helps......the other half and I will be staying in our little place in the village we live in for my PGCE and beyond, so you'll be a lot less poor than me!!

4. thats great , thanks for all the info. I was thinkin of starting to organise a place around the end of march or so, will that be too early/late to organise a decent place for september.??

are u going to be doing the PGCE this year as well in newcastle???

5. Nah, I'm a 'southern softie' (get used to being called that it you're from anywhere south of Durham) so I've been in Sussex since I graduated. My other half is has a second job as a retained firefighter in our village, which did limit PGCE options - but I got into Brighton, for primary, which I'm really pleased about [​IMG] Only 40 mins down the road by car, and I really didn't fancy getting the train to London every day.....
    If I were you, I'd start looking now. We found both our second and third year houses in Jan/Feb - but then again we were absolutely set on Jesmond. If you're a bit more flexible, you should be ok to leave it a bit. But then again, the more there is still available, the better your chance if getting a bargain!
    Coincidentally, one of my old housemates was back in Newcastle this weekend: apparently the union building is being refurbished, so it should be all swish and new for when you start! If you get chance to visit the union - ever - then I would highly recommend sandwiches in the Basement (great big hearty 'stotties' for about £1.50) and drinks in the Cochrane Lounge.

6. Hi eflood.
    I did a similar thing to you this year, I am currently studying my PGCE at Northumbria and as yourself I am a mature student in comparison to my peers on my course.
    I was in a more fortunate situation in that I knew Newcastle before moving here, oweing to my friends doing their undergraduate degrees here and my brother being here currently, hence it is like a second home.
    Like some of the others have said;
    Both Gosforth and Jesmond are nice areas, however Gosforth is a little further out of town and Jesmond; in the areas you are likely to find rental properties will be loud and costly (it has one of the most expensive Tesco's (express) outside of London)
    Avoid Fenham, there is little there and again is some way out of town.
    Sandyford is a very student populated area and lies between Jesmond and Heaton, and is in walking distance to the city centre/universities, it can be quiet lively here.
    Personally I'd recommend Heaton, I live here currently in the Chillingham Road area which has an abudnance of shops, takeaways and other amenities and has great access to the city with the metro station 5 minutes from my house and the No 1 bus runs past the end of the street. Some areas of Heaton can be quite 'lively' but quite alot a very residential- such as the street I live on, only 3 other student propeties on it.
    I'd recommend having access to a car, mainly for school placements, I don't know Newcastle Uni's schools, but Northumbria placements range from Middlesborough to the south to Alnwick in the North, and from the coast in the east, to Hexham in the West.
    Most students begin their search for a house before Christmas in an attempt to get the best quality and the most reasonable price. Therefore I'd recommend looking from hereforward!!
    Depending on what sort of property you are looking for; furnished/unfurnished? Will depend on the lease you can get. Most 'student' properties come with a 12 month lease and start in the summer (it is very unlikely you'll find anything less otherwise the agents/owners have 3months of no income) and alot of the nicer ones with most agencies will have gone by now.
    Private/professional lets can be found with the standard 6 month short hold lease which can roll month to month after that, try rightmove for these sorts.
    There are many letting agencies within the city, from personal experience I would avoid;
    Roseworths- poor service, mediocre properties, rip off return of deposits
    Prem Lets (formally Premier Residential) similar reasons as above.

I would highly recommend Taylored Lets http://www.taylored-lets.com/listresults.aspx
    He owns & manages all his own properties, which are finished to a high 'student/young professional standard' most come fully furnished, whilst he offers some unfurnished properties.
    He is not as mainstream as the rest so still has several properties on his site and as he isn't as large, the service you receive is much more than that of the aforementioned agencies. Most tenants come through word of mouth, which is one of the most reliable methods of recomendation I know.
    I looked at several other properities, in addition to the on my partner and I are in, in a hope of finding something of the same standard for cheaper/nearer to town. Nothing came close, for the standard of accomodation/price.
    Average rent for a nice property is in the region of £300-£325 per room(person) per month, obviously a 2 bed property between three would be cheaper.
    Jesmond/the nearer to the city centre the more expensive rent becomes, the further away (or poorer quality) the cheaper rent becomes.
    Newcastle is an amazing city to live in, most areas are within good access of the city centre via the metro, and has an abundance of shops, bars, restuarants etc The nightlife, when you get to enjoy it amongst all the work is second to none!!
    If you'd like/ need anymore advice feel free to ask via this thread of a PM, I can appreciate the situation you are in as I was in a very similar one last year.
    Regards
    Matt

7. Hi eflood,

I'm doing the primary pgce in newcastle this year and need somewhere to live. I was wondering if there was any chance of possibly getting somewhere with you guys? I don't know anyone else doing the course and am stuck on what to do for accommodation.

Phil

8. thats great info, thanks folks for taking the time to post it. Just sent you a message there phil.

9. Hi
    I'm starting my PGCE in September and have done my undergrad in Newcastle so I know the city. I would recomend Sandyford as the best compromise between price and distance to uni/town. I would be up for sharing with some other PGCEs students as well, if others would.

10. Hello,

I too will be doing a PGCE (secondary RE) in Newcastle in September....looking for accommodation and interested in a house share with other PGCE'rs. Anyone else out there looking for similar

Never thought I'd be posting what resembles a dating advertisement on TES!

11. That's brill - Are you on facebook? craigwright1989 if you are!
    I'd be interested in getting together for a house share/house hunt, I'm getting slightly paniced about living situation....even though there is zero reason to be lol ;P