1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by LucSki, May 2, 2012.

1. LucSki

LucSki New commenter

Hi all,
    Im new to the world of supply and not holding out much hope for a lot of work (from reading on here and the fact i'm in the North West) but just after some general info and advice about my situation.
    I have 2 agency interviews this week, one with a large supply agency and one with a childcare agency - this is so I can hopefully fill my weeks with a variety of work from being a 'proper' teacher to doing nursery assistant work for £6.50P/H!
    I also had a call from an independent school I interviewed with a month ago (and didnt get!) asking to go on thier supply books which I would love to do as I would hope a longer contract would come up.
    While all this is going on I am also applying to schools for permanant contracts starting in Septemeber.
    So my questions (which may sound stupid!):
    Am I self employed? I have a P45 from my last permanant post, Do I provide this to all the people and they sort out the tax etc themselves or do I need to figure this out?
    Do I let all parties know about each other? I would prioritise the Independent school over the others, shall I let them know?
    What happens if I supply somewhere anda job at that school comes up that I want to apply for? Ive read things about finders fees?! Shall I ask about this at interview?
    Any other advice would be super.
    Many thanks

2. LucSki

LucSki New commenter

Hi all,
    Im new to the world of supply and not holding out much hope for a lot of work (from reading on here and the fact i'm in the North West) but just after some general info and advice about my situation.
    I have 2 agency interviews this week, one with a large supply agency and one with a childcare agency - this is so I can hopefully fill my weeks with a variety of work from being a 'proper' teacher to doing nursery assistant work for £6.50P/H!
    I also had a call from an independent school I interviewed with a month ago (and didnt get!) asking to go on thier supply books which I would love to do as I would hope a longer contract would come up.
    While all this is going on I am also applying to schools for permanant contracts starting in Septemeber.
    So my questions (which may sound stupid!):
    Am I self employed? I have a P45 from my last permanant post, Do I provide this to all the people and they sort out the tax etc themselves or do I need to figure this out?
    Do I let all parties know about each other? I would prioritise the Independent school over the others, shall I let them know?
    What happens if I supply somewhere anda job at that school comes up that I want to apply for? Ive read things about finders fees?! Shall I ask about this at interview?
    Any other advice would be super.
    Many thanks

3. Hi LucSki

No questions are stupid.

You wouldn't be classed as self-employed if you work for an agency. I'm not sure about the independent school as I've never worked in one nor done supply directly through a school. Well done on being asked to go on their supply books!

There's a form you fill in when you apply to an agency regarding tax and whether it's your only job or you have other jobs. If you're signing up with 2 agencies (and possibly also working for the independent school), then you'd tick the box which says that it isn't your only job. Don't worry, the agencies usually help you with anything your unsure of.

Some agencies don't like you working for other agencies but, in the current economic climate, I think that's unfair of them.

It wouldn't hurt to ask about finders fees when you go for your interviews.

Remember, you'll probably need to pay for new CRBs for each agency.

Good luck and enjoy supply.

4. LucSki

LucSki New commenter

Thanks, thats good to know!
    Yes, I've asked about portability so hopefully thatll save on the cost a little.
    I'm pretty scared of going into a school I dont know, but I'm sure once i've done it a couple of times it'll get easier!
    thanks for your help

5. Not all agencies will accept portability.

I still get 'collywobbles' when I get a last minute call to supply at a school I haven't been to before - and I've been teaching on supply for 5 years!

It does get easier though, and it's great being in a classroom.

6. LucSki

LucSki New commenter

aha! I will ask at my interviews! Thank you.
    Yeah.. I think I might start off asking for pre-booked only although I know this will limit my chances of work,I think it'll be better for my confidence!

7. I'm not sure how much work you'll get by asking only for pre-booked.

School's have their budgets cut so much that they can't afford to send staff on courses, the usual source of pre-booked work.

Take the bull by the horns!! I'm sure you'll be fine. Just make sure you have some work in case the teacher hasn't left any plans.