1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie to teaching!

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by lisavictoria1986, May 11, 2016.

1. lisavictoria1986

lisavictoria1986 New commenter

Hi all, I have been accepted to undertake my PGCE in September, and now tasked with finding the 150 hour placement this requires!
    My interview to get onto the course went really well and they said they have arranged an interview for me to try and secure a placement within an fe college.

My question is, how likely is it that I will get it? Has anyone been unsucessful when applying for placements and should I wear a suit, or just formal?

Equally, any tips would be gratefully recieved!

Thanking you all! :)
    Lisa

2. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

My Uni arranged the placement. I thought all Unis did.
    Depends on your subject really. If you are in a shortage subject such as English or Maths GCSE or Functional Skills they will fall over for you. Something like Philosophy, you will struggle. Most of our philosophers ended up teaching in prisons. I think placements in Health and Social Care and Child Care are o.k. too

3. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

A suit is formal.

4. lisavictoria1986

lisavictoria1986 New commenter

sorry Vince, i should have said smart/casual. I will be teaching Business Studies?

5. RenMartin

RenMartin New commenter

If you were the one doing the interviewing what would you expect the interviewee to wear?

6. crockedpot

crockedpot New commenter

I work in FE and though most of the (male) members of staff don't wear a suit to work, it's usual to wear one for an interview, in my opinion.