1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Zealand issues stay at home order...

Discussion in 'Staff, pupil & parent's wellbeing' started by hhhh, Aug 12, 2020.

1. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

...when there's only 4 cases, in one family. The PM said everyone in Auckland should stay at home, with nobody allowed to go to work or school. And yet look what we're doing, with cases on the rise. Would you prefer to have someone like her as our PM?

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  2. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Senior commenter

With only 4 cases KNOWN

3. Corvuscorax20

Until they find the source - isn't it believed to have arrived on an import of frozen food? If that it the case, I would very much like to know how long the import went without being touched, in between the last person to touch it outside NZ and the first person inside. Was it more than 72 hours?

PamDemic and agathamorse like this.
  4. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I'm not sure because I've never been nor do i know many New Zealanders but their reactions to date suggest a people who want to come out of the crisis, appreciate its severity and don't mind doing what they are told. All of the latter being singularly absent from the soul of UK.

5. Corvuscorax20

They have had 14 more cases today

6. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

True, but, as you rightly say, the known cases might be far fewer than the real total. The same applies here-and we have far more known cases. That's why I think she's right to minimise the death risk.

7. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Absolutely. Will Boris shut schools in a city, if anyone is known to have the virus in that city? I think we know the answer. The virus can last much longer than 72 hours if frozen, though. Weren't we advised to tip frozen food straight into the microwave (or whatever) without handling the packaging except wearing gloves. Don't think you should do that with the Fabs, though.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  8. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

That was speculation resulting from 3 people at a frozen food warehouse having the virus. New Zealand's director of public health has said he thinks it very unlikely that the virus could survive on frozen packaging and has said he expected that sooner or later the new cases would be linked to somebody who had arrived in the country with an infection or a worker at a quarantine facility, airport or maritime port.

9. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Senior commenter

Some on here will not be old enough to know what Fabs are. Ice lollies made up of 3(?) layers with hundreds and thousands encasing part of it if I remember rightly.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

You can still buy Fabs. I have some in the freezer.