1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

New Zealand Early Childhood Teacher- what does my degree mean in England??

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by tessi_pie, Mar 24, 2011.

  1. I am a fully registered 23 year old teacher in New Zealand. I have a Bachelors Degree in Teaching (Early Childhood Education), majoring in Professional Education, from the University of Waikato (New Zealand). I am coming to the U.K at the end of July, and wish to teach in England. I have an Irish passport and citizenship, so I won't need a visa, and am planning on an indefinate stay. I am wondering what I will need to do to be able to pursue teaching in England, as I know our curriculum etc is different to the British one. Please let me know, so I can organise as much as possible before I arrive. Thank-you!
  2. silverfern

    silverfern New commenter

    Don't know a lot about Early Childhood, but if it's the same as Secondary, your degree won't mean a lot!
    Get your degree validated by NARIC http://www.naric.org.uk/
    You could contact the TDA (training and development agency) http://www.tda.gov.uk/ and ask them about the requirements for Early Childhood teachers. Have a look on the website (scroll down to 'Overseas Trained Teachers')
    You might be able to get a job and then complete 'QTS for OTT' (Qualified Teacher Status for Overseas Trained Teachers).
    Or you might be able to get work through a teaching agency (not sure where you're going - London? - different agencies in different cities). Have a look at the digital version of the TNT Magazine http://tntonline.co.uk/tnt_today/emag/ - there are usually advertisements from various teaching agencies in the classifieds at the back.
    Good luck!

Share This Page