1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Year's Resolutions

Discussion in 'Personal' started by way2serious, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Mine are very boring - lose a stone in weight and take more exercise, better life/work balance, less procrastinating, tidier house, etc.
    Has anyone else got anything a bit more exciting?
    How long do you think you will be able to stick to yours?

2. Weight... exercise... blah blah...

And my most solemn promise to myself:
    I will make time for me, I will start crafting, I may start selling.

3. Hi Pobble. What sort of crafting do you enjoy? I used to do a lot of scrapbooking and have a load of supplies in the spare room but rarely have the time anymore but you have got me thinking now...

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Same here.
    I will also add my resolution NOT to eat the food and bickies constantly on (free) offer at school which is why I need to lose a stone in the first place!
    I must get my bikini bod back in time for Barbados in March.
    I will, I will, I WILL!

5. A holiday in Barbados!
    Wow what a fantastic motivation!

6. BelleDuJour

Yes. We're going to stay with friends. Trouble is, she's size zero so I'll look even podgier! I'm hoping it will motivate me and I do have a gym at home so no excuses really. It's just all the food at school that does the damage and I am so weak willed [​IMG]

7. Recycling and upcycling stuff!
    As a kid I used to do all sorts of crafty stuff. But I have now got to decide on what I most want to do. So far, fulling jumpers and making 'things', recycling old clothes into even more 'things', pet hammocky things, wire jewellery, buttons lots of buttons, bags, hats, no crochet/knitting, free machine embroidery,weaving, pictures from materials, needle felting, THINGS!!! LOTS OF THINGS!
    And then there is the kitchen list, preserves, cakes, sweets, chocolate truffles....
    And the garden list (mainly to supply the kitchen list), veg, fruit, herbs....
    Plus a full time job, chickens and near-terminal lazyitis!
    Now you see the size of the problem..... and the need for a resolution!

8. Have you got much to lose?
    I am aiming to lose a stone by half term by being really strict and mean to myself!

9. BelleDuJour

I could do with losing a stone, but I've been sitting here nomming on cashew nuts so it's not going to happen anytime soon [​IMG]

10. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

We're planning to move to a new area so it'll be all about working on the house, joining new groups, building new routines with the much nearer aged parents and son/d-i-l/g;daughter. So I predict resolutions involving patience with the key people in my life.
    Would someone please like to buy my lovely home so I can get started on the next bit of my life.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Start developing additional income sources that will eventually supplement my pension as and when.

As part of the above, start making money from my photography.

12. More me time in the form of crafting is my new years resolution too [​IMG]. The second half of my PGCE and starting my first year as a ft teacher meant that I didn't get time to craft at alll last year. I've been making a start on my resolution this week by recycling my old jewellery into bag charms. I'm also coming up with a series of designs to print onto canvas bags. I've made a list of craft fairs in South/West Yorkshire and hope to start selling around March time.

13. My most successful New Year's Resolution has been one I set 3 years ago.

To rarely stand on an escalator - going up or down! Being that I get the tube everyday I have managed it and even almost always stick to it late at night after a late night at school or when catching the last tube home.

I am very proud of myself for sticking to this for so long!

Remember, make those goals SMART!

14. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i need to lose half a stone ish. i haven't really eaten much rich food over xmas, or even that much more than normal, but i am suddenly apple shaped.

15. Like a few others, I am going to make more 'me' time.
    I'm going to do this in two ways:
    1 Working out a proper study routine for the course I'm doing.
    2 Joining the local Ramblers group and going out once a week.
    Long may they both last!

16. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

<ol>[*]Exercise more. Hopefully I'll run twice a week and swim twice a week[*]Listen to classical music more. I grew up with classical music and do love it but I listen almost exclusively to pop music these days.</ol>

17. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Write that book

and

declutter the house; lose 3 stone; get well enough to get back to work; visit Mum more often; take daughter on holiday, just the two of us; paint; arrange to sell paintings; decorate bedroom, bathroom, hall and loo; redo kitchen; and a few other things

18. Well mine are the same. Loose a stone in weight. Do more exercise. (But it's so muddy out for walking at the moment).
    Get out some knitting and teach a few kids to knit ...listening to woman's hour today and feel I ought to pass this skill on
    Eat less chocolate ..once I 've finished whats been given to me that is!
    Do an evening class but can't find out what is on offer as all the searches ask me what i want to do ..I don't know ! Tell me what you're offering [​IMG]
    Go and sort the garden out. It needs lots of work and its so damp n miserable out.
    Be more active, not wasting hours online !!

19. Ooh, forgot some!
    3 Declutter house (again!)
    4 Finish decorating (stripped woodwork 3 years ago, still not painted it)
    5 Sort out finances

20. 1. Lose 50lbs (I need to lose more but I figure 50 is a realistic start point)
    2. Get my finances to a manageable, non-heart-attack-inducing state
    3. No using cigarettes or alcohol as a social bonding crutch
    4. Grow my hair