1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Years Resolution - Lose Weight!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by hubcap, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Espresso with hours like that you are going to have a mini meal say at 4pm but make it a healthy one! Eating that late is hard in the evening - can you take something to work (Baxters Healthy option soups are lovely and filling and low fat).

I used to be a terrbile snacker but if you tell yourself "Am i hungry, thirsty, bored, in a routine" then snacking gets less and less.

do you like yogurts - loads of low fat ones out there and I sometimes have one of those mid morning?

2. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

If I give up nibbling raisins at nightime I will have to get a punchbag!
    I think thats why when I gave up smoking ten years ago, I started nibbling at nights!

3. Thanks Senco - I love yoghurts so that might be a good idea. I also tend to snack on apples, satsumas and bananas (but have recently been told that bananas should be avoided as they are too high in calories).

I hate eating that late in the evening but my OH only gets home after 8:30 so it is unavoidable. If I had a mini-meal at 4pm, I assume you mean something light like fruit as opposed to a meal?

4. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

OK
    Normally today i woul have had
    breakfast - lowfat cereal
    dinner- boiled egg and bacon butty, choc bar (snack size)
    probably another choc bar as a snack, ans an apple
    tea- pork ,veg, mas and gravy, apple crumble and custard
    half a bottle of wine, 2 slices of toast.

5. well I am on a ' i can eat what I want until the 3rd January (my official start date due to commitments involving pre-ordered menu choices!)' so today I have eaten

Bowl of Choc Chip Weetabix minis
    12" Meat feast pizza
    Slice of cherry lattice
    Bowl of choc chip weetabix minis
    Muller Strawberry Shortbread crunch corner

My problem at the moment is one of never feeling full regardless of how much I eat - was never like this before i gor pregnant and had my son.

6. espresso - to start off with I dont think fruit at 4pm is enough if you dont eat till 8.30pm. Consider what you eat at 8.30pm and reduce your portions - that way a tin of soup or a yog at 4pm will be fine. You dont want to go mad and starve yourself - 4 sensible "meals" to include the one at 4pm will be better than 3 meals a day and loads of snacks!

Buzzbys day reminds me of the "old" Old SENCO - but all you have to do is make some slight changes (EXCUSES THE CAPS BUT HEALTHY OPTION IN CAPS).

So:-
    Bowl of Choc Chip Weetabix minis
    (WEIGH YOUR PORTION - 40G OF CEREAL PLENTY IF TOPPED WITH FRUIT - TESCO DO FROZEN FRUIT SO TAKE OUT A CUP FULL OF THAT OF FREEZER AND IN MORNING POUR OVER CEREAL WITH GRAPES, BANANA ETC)

12" Meat feast pizza
    (X2 PITTA BREADS, WITH TOM PUREE AND CHEESE)

Slice of cherry lattice
    (LOW FAT YOG)

Bowl of choc chip weetabix minis
    (WHAT ANOTHER ONE!)

Muller Strawberry Shortbread crunch corner
    (MULLER LIGHT LAYER YOG - YUM!)

7. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

What do you think of my last Sunday to this Sunday os?

8. Thanks senco - will try to take your advice. Got to change old habits first!

9. not sure what you mean by that hub? explain to OS!

But here's an interesting development. My 10 yr old neice is keen to "get fit like auntie S" (bless her she is a chunky girl) and so we have decided to do the Sunwalk in July together. I have set her the challenge to be my walking partner in 27 weeks - I will be so proud to be walking with her if it does the trick to get her fit and healthy by then.

See www.walkthewalk.org if you dont know about the Sunwalk. I shall be doing the 10k with my neice (although am a mad power walker and would love to be doing the Half!)

Join us?!

10. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

I posted what I had today and then what I normally have in another post.
    Where are you? Im in Lancashire.

11. I am in Wigan/St Helens area if anyone fancies starting a walking group.

12. I am going to buy a mini-trampoline - thought it looked like a fun way to exercise and I could incorporate it regularly if I always used it in front of a regular TV programme! Anyone had any experience of them? (Can't do any exercise at the moment - sprained my ankle last week :-(. Anyone know how long they take to heal - it is driving me crazy!!!)

13. I have one under my bed - OH and I use it to wedge the door shut when we don't want the children to come in - don't need to explain why!

14. Bristol here - one of largest power walking groups run by me!

Sorry hub - what are the post numbers as we are getting a nice big thread here !

15. I did bounce on it for a while - the trampoline that is, but found it to be quite boring after a bit.

16. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

76 and 103 os

17. night guys - New Years eve tomorrow - take a photo of yourselves!

18. Alpaca, lol!
    Well 'a bit of the other' as my gran used to say is apparently good for calorie burning, so if the trampoline is shutting the door and helping you to achieve that, then it would seem it is indeed helping you lose weight!

19. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Good idea!

20. That is what I say to the OH everytime he mentions the thing!!