1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Years Resolution - Lose Weight!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by hubcap, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Def need to- gained three pounds over christmas!

2. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Well we are starting on the 1st officially. Come on girls you can do it if you really want ! (Remember the song?) Ive just been practising.
    Im trying to retrain my brain. I went in a shop in town today. It was full of sugary stuff and normally I would have treat myself. It was weird I got a slight panic attack! Avoided the buy though, but felt hot and faint!! Gosh can sugar fixes do that? I thought it was going without drugs that did that! (not that Im on any!)
    Anyway Mr Hubbs just appeared with a glass of dry white wine for me, so Im going to sip and enjoy. I know if I gulp it will make me want the sugary stuff so Ive whipped out the raisins again!
    Ill tell you what, dont mean to be rude or nowt but they were like a laxative last night!

3. Well done hub - look at those sugary foods and think of maggots crawling all over it in the sun.... mmmm not so nice now (Paul McKennas "Think you thin" or whatever it is gets you to use visualisation!)

Mmmmm hate to tell you this girls but the side effect of this healthy eating is

MORE CLOTHES SHOPPING !!!!!! I love to buy my small trousers now!!!!

But also incredible wind !!!!!!Any one know tips for stopping that - but the amount of veg and fruit going in this Tesser means phew......

4. Do I have to give up my wine?

5. You dont have to give up anything !!!!!! But you may want to think about shrinking a few portions including wine.

This is a lifestyle change not a hanging !!! If you deprive yourself you will not succeed. If you make choices you will!

6. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

My motto is going to be to allow myself my dry white wine!
    I can cut out bread, chocolate, crisps, potatoes, pastries, cakes and sweets , and I will.
    However I cannot cut out my wine!
    I think you have to be honest with yourself as to what you CAN give up, otherwise you will be miserable and want everything back again.
    Just my opinion.

7. Thanks Old Senco. I figure if I am going out to the gym twice/three times a week, the last thing I will want when I get back is a glass of wine, more like a nice homemade smoothie.

I am all fired up ready to go!

8. You're right hub - this is a lifestyle change and some changes will need to be made.

My philosophy 2 yrs ago was its no point making tiny changes because that would leave me still close to what I used to eat. I think if you make big changes then you are more likely to succeed.

Perhaps aim to make 1 big change a month? Either its drastic, drastic, drastic!

I am maintaing my weight in 2008 - but am excited for you guys to lose the weight and feel great!

9. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

I had terrible wind last night! Embarassing or what!!

10. gameplayer

gameplayer New commenter

Rather late in thread but can I join too

I've been so good over Christmas and everything going fine but today parents came over for lunch and brought contributions of...

chocolates
    an entire Panetonne
    wine
    mince pies
    Christmas cake
    luxury biscuits

I also have a serious 'waste not want not' obsession

11. How about exchanging that for a "not want waist" obsession?

12. gameplayer

gameplayer New commenter

But I have spent weeks regaling all my friends and acquaintances with the 'what a waste this time of year is. Such gluttony. Such excess. How much of this excessive food buying is going to be thrown away. It's immoral to waste food etc etc etc.' line

Do I now have to become a hypocrite

13. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

save what you can for 'visitors'.
    Oldsenco do you think Im not eating enough? When you said dont shock your body, I dont want it to go into starvation mode and hang on to everything!

14. I've got a gym day tomorrow! Really looking forward to it. Cycle class from 10 - 10.40, then toning class from 11 - 12, then a massage and a facial (Happy Christmas Pleugh, lots of love from Pleugh) and then two more classes until 4.

I'm waiting for a parcel in the morning, though...hope it arrives in time :S

15. I have only just come across this thread but would like to join too. I can't start on the 1st though - I am staying with family and there is absolutely no chance of healthy eating there - they don't really do low-fat / healthy! But I will start when I get back on the 6th Jan. In the meantime, I will gain inspiration from you guys and try to limit the bad food while staying with my parents!

Some of the ideas for dinners that you guys have come up with are fantastic - thanks for the inspiration.

Does anyone have good ideas for snacks -I get hungry all the time and am a grazer - I am looking for snacks to eat at first break at school to keep me going till lunch which is very late, and also in the evening while I wait for the OH to come home - we eat very late and I find it difficult not to snack. I eat a lot of apples but am getting quite bored with them!

16. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

gameplayer, maybe you could find out where your nearest homeless shelter is, and give them in there.
    Well done pleugh, you're keen!

17. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

hi espresso! Ive given in to raisins. Will also try grapes.

18. Great idea. I love grapes!

Are dried fruits ok? I thought they were high in sugar and calories.

19. Hi all - everyone sounds so enthusiastic - keep it going and sending those positive vibes!

The secret is not to consider this as a diet but a lifestyle change so dont go drastic all at once. Hub make sure you have at least 1500 calories if not up to 2000 - the chances are the "old hub" might have been having more so you will still have a cut back on calories.

In terms of snacking - that is something that you are going to change. You are going to teach your body and mind that you dont need to snack. Your cravings will stop, the sugar cravings will stop and you will eat 3 meals a day.....

20. I know snacking can be bad, Senco but the problem is my day is so long so the times between my meals are long. I have to be up at 5:30am, have breakfast at school at about 8am, lunch at about 1:30pm, dinner at about 8:30 / 9pm. That's a long time without eating inbetween. Are you saying that I shouldn't eat between at all? I don't think I can do that!