1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Years Resolution - Lose Weight!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by hubcap, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Hey AF!

Go for it! You'll feel so much more motivated just by joining up! :)

Good for you :) 1st step!

2. How about we post what we're having for dinner now and again to give others inspiration for planning menus? I know that I have no imagination when it comes to low-fat/healthy meals.

3. PierreImport

PierreImport Administrator

I am having a glass of Dubonnet, some Kalamata olives, and am looking forward to chicken saltimbocca, green beans, steamed potatoes accompanied by a glass or two of Rioja, followed by a lemony tart, a coffee and a glass of Cointreau.

4. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I need to keep on losing weight for my wedding in August. Have already lost nearly 2 stone and haven't been particularly bad over xmas, except for a few biscuits. I've still being going to the gym practically everyday.

Old Senco - if I go to the gym 5 times a week, and burn off 600-700 calories each time, and eat about 1500 calories a day, will I lose 2 lbs a week? This is what I have been doing, but haven't weighed myself for a couple of weeks.

I'd ideally like to lose 3 stone, but would be happy with 2. Most of it is on my hips and thighs!

5. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

You should, techinically, lose weigh, but remember, you will be losing fat and water, but replacing it with muscle, so whilst you may not lose pounds, you will lose inches so get the measuring tape out.

I went indoor rock climbing this afternoon with Mr E_S as a way of kick starting myself back into fitness after a lethargic and lazy Xmas period. I love climbing, so I am more than happy to go every weekend, which is great. It's an excellent toning workout, especially if you do bridging (which can help tone the stomach and legs) and overhangs (good for the arms).

For my dinner tonight, I'm having sirloin steak (with fat trimmed off) dusted with cajun seasoning and grilled with onions, peppers and tomatoes. This is accompanied with my seasoned wedges: cut one baking potato into 8 wedges and season with paprika, chilli flakes and salt and pepper. Yummy. I've stir-fried some mangetout and baby corn to go with for the ravenous Mr E_S.

On weight watchers, this meal works out at 7 and a half points, which is good for an evening meal. Although I think WW is a waste of time in terms of attending, the points are a good guide as to what you should eat together. For example, I know that with steak (high in points) I should have as much 'free' food as possible. I rarely have potatoes, but since I mentioned that earlier, I've craved these wedges. Still, potatoes are low in fat, even if they are a bit starchy.

6. fantastischfish

Low fat pasta recipe (by WW standards)

Cook penne pasta in water as per normal (3 points for large serving)

In a saucepan fry (in spray oil - 0 points) 2 low-fat sausages per person (1 point per sausage - I like to use the Bowyers less that 5% fat ones that have chilli and peppers in them).

Add a sliced onion, a chopped clove of garlic and stir

Add a tin of chopped tomatoes and about 125mls of vegetable stock. Also add a teaspoon of chilli flakes and a teaspoon of dried mixed herbs.

Allow the sauce to simmer quite vigorously to reduce down slightly

Serve sauce over hot pasta.

This recipe is delicious and contain 5 weight watchers points if you use low-fat sausages. Add a clice or two of reduced fat garlic bread or a sprinkling of parmesan if you have spare points left over.

7. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Have had a practise run today.
    breakfast - lowfat cereal
    dinner - tuna salad, lowfat yogurt
    tea- pear, fish and veg, apple
    snacks- raisins
    Had a glass of wine too!
    What do you think?

8. A couple of those 'menus' look very yummy and not too dissimilar (sp?) to what I usually eat.

tonight we had Yellow peppers stuffed with chilli.

Chilli
    Steak mince (no lean mince available at the supermarket)
    Chillies
    Onion
    Chilli powder
    Black pepper

Medium Yellow Pepper

Basmati rice flavoured with lemon zest and juice (very zingy)

My biggest downfall is chocolate and in fact all sweet things - went shopping today and bought some WW chocolate mini rolls and caramel bars so that I am not completely removing it from my life!

Have about 2 stone to lose some of it baby weight some of it just weight! Hopefully will start going for more walks with my 12 week old now I have a new coat that actually fits and can keep me warm and netball season starts again soon. Can't face the gym it's just too monotonous and am more of a team player really.

Good luck to everyone with their weight loss

buzzby x

9. I am going to take daily photographs. Mmhmm.

10. This is sounding so postivie - go girls (and guys?!)

The key is this. You are not on a diet. This is forever. Yes when you get to target weight etc you can add some things but if you do it properly and slowly you wont want to go back to your old eating.

Also if you do it properly you will train your appetite. I used to get shakes and sugar needs and stuff my face with biscuits to stop them. Now I dont.

Chica77 yes that sounds good but remember to lose 2lb every week is a tall order. Anyone out thre thinking of mesuring their success by weighing themselves - remember different clothes weigh different amounts. So weigh yourself just once a month (yep not week!) and wear the same clothes.

Photos are good. I carry a "before and after" photo in my bag - gosh was I that big!

Off for a 12 mile power walk with 3 mad friends now - cant wait!!!!

11. fantastischfish

I love chilli! Try substituting the beef mince for chunks of chicken - delicious and fewer point (I think it's 2.5 weight watchers' point per chicken breast).

I use this packet of mix from Schwartz to make a delicious Mexican style chilli called (unsuprisngly) Mexcan Chilli Chicken.

You just brown off the chicken, add onions and diced peppers and cook for a few minutes. Then you pour in a tin of mixed beans, tin of chopped tomatoes and the sauce mix from the packet, plus some water.

I think one portion is about 5 weight watchers' points, and is VERY low in fat. I serve with a jacket potato, but it's delicious with rice too.

12. Yum could eat that now Eva!

The secret is down to your choices - do you make a nice old homemade chilli and know exactly whats in it or do you buy a monosodium filled ready meal full of salt and sugar!!

Make twice as much and start a freezer full of good meals!

gosh my 12 mile walk was good!! Having a pj day now!

13. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Just had a nice walk into town and back . Thirty mins each way. Feeling proud!

14. I'm joining in too! I lost a stone from Sep - Nov, but then from Nov - now school got really busy and I couldn't fit the gym in...so I put it back on. SO angry with myself.

Am now training for a 10k run in May and am back hitting the gym with a refreshed perspective on my work/life balance.

All these recipes are really good! For lunch today I had corgette, onion and cherry tomatoes cooked in a tin of chopped tomatoes with loads of garlic and basil. Had it with a small wholemeal roll, like a super duper chunky soup.

Dinner is going to be a steamed tuna steak and loads of veg.

Wheee!!

15. By the way, I've about three stone to lose.

16. Keep this thread active by just posting hi and how are you!!!

Bear this in mind.....

Life is a choice...
    You choose what you wear...
    You choose what you eat...
    You choose how much you get off your ass...
    And move your feet!

LOL!

So basically 2008 is the year of choice!!!!

17. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Way to go oldsenco!
    Today Ive eaten (still practising);
    small bowl low fat cereal
    2 boiled eggs, pear
    snacks- yogurt, apple
    tea- lamb and veg, glass of wine (hic!_)

18. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

19. hi hub

yum tea there but dont give your body too much of a shock and feel hungry as thats not good!

If you do think "I fancy that" and its not Mr Hub, then ask yourself why. Is it thrist, boredom or habit that makes you want something or genuine hunger?

OS

20. I need to!! I need to lose a stone. It's been creeping on this last year and if I don't sort it, it will be twice as much by the summer! House is full of naughty stuff right now so cannot start until it's all gone.

My problem is when it's term time I get so exhausted I can barely function let alone exercise.