1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Years Resolution - Lose Weight!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by hubcap, Dec 27, 2007.

1. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Why are you teaching the equivalent of an NQT's timetable? Any student teacher I have mentored teaches a maximum of 65%.

Laminating? There's one place to cut down on time. There should be someone in the school responsible for tasks such as photocopying and laminating. If there isn't, don't laminate stuff.

2. Chatterbox1607

Chatterbox1607 New commenter

Thats what we have been asked to do, i teach everday apart from my ppa and discussion with my link tutor.

I have laminated, cut, stuck and photocopied my own things I think thats the general rule of the school. We have a week off soon for half term so i plan to get to the gym every day then.

3. fantastischfish

I just HAD to post in with my new gym programme; it gets changed every 3 weeks by my personal trainer and this new one's a bloody killer! See what you make of this:
    Warm-up: 5 minutes rowing
    Stretches: 90-90, quads, hamstrings etc
    <u>1st Exercise</u>
    Tie one of those elastic band things around your knees. Sit on a stability ball and walk your feet forwards until you are only resting your head on it, the rest of your body being supported by your legs (chest press position, in other words). You have to keep pushing your knee outwards against the elastic band. Slowly lower your bum to about half and inch from the ground, you should keep the spine straight, so the head will lift up slighty - do not arch the back to make you bum touch to floor. Then return back to the original position. Repeat ten times, remembering to keep pushing the knees outwards against the pressure of the band.
    <u>2nd Exercise</u>
    Immediately after exercise one, jump up on your feet and stand with them shoulder width apart. Squat down for 2 seconds, hold for 2, then come up for 2. Repeat ten times. Rest for 90 secs then do 2 more circuits of exercise 1 and 2.
    <u>3rd Exercise</u>
    For this you'll need the squats frame in your gym. It probably looks like a 3 sided cage with a big metal bar across it. Lift the bar and rest across the tops of your arms so that the bar is about 2 inches under your chin. Support the bar in this position by cross your arm over your chest, holding the bar in each hand; lift your elbows up in front of you to further support the bar. Now complete front squats. These are the same as normal squats but because the weight is on the front, rather than behind you on the back of your neck and shoulders, it will work your bum much more. Complete a set of 10 squats followed by 90 seconds rest, then a further 10.
    Cool down on the bike for 5 minutes and stretch as if your life depends on it.

I don't think I'll walk for a week after completing this programme for the first time today, but by God I can feel it's going to work! This personal training thing is going well. I've practically given up cardio in the gym. The only cardio I do is outside of the gym: walking, cycling or climbing. My body fat percentage, I'm proud to say, is still going down, so I'm very chuffed.
    How is everyone doing? It's all quiet on the Western Front.

4. Hello strangers! It's my 25th birthday in exactly 3 months so Monday sees the start of a big push towarda goal. Starting beginners running club on Monday eve and trying to find a personal trainer that's affordable so I can get my butt whipped back into shape. While I haven't been eating too badly since I moved, I have been eating a LOT! Getting my brain back in order and getting back on track. Back online properly soon so hoping for lots of encouragement!

5. fantastischfish

Right boys and girls, where are we all? Time to get this thread back into action!
    I'm going to get the ball rolling by telling you about my food and exercise today:

Breakfast: Cinnamon and Raisin Bagel, with lurpak light
    Lunch: Salad with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, carrot and two slices of ham, spoonful of potato salad.
    Dinner: Cheese and onion omlette, side salad, boiled new potatoes and a little lurpak
    Treat: Cadbury's Highlights Choc mousse (yummmmm!)

Really enjoy having lighter meals on hot, sunny days.
    Exercise-wise I went to the gym after work and did my new gym programme - it's a killer.

How about everyone else?

6. Chatterbox1607

Chatterbox1607 New commenter

I need to get my finger out...finding it difficult to get to the gym after placement - i need to get into a routine. Im going to go a walk Saturday and Sunday for two hours and go to the gym.[​IMG]

7. Hi all, how are things going? Not been on the thread in a while! 34 weeks pregnant, so it wont be too long before I'm back with a vengeance!
    Just thought I'd let you know that Chica had her baby boy yesterday (in case you didn't see the announcement). She texted me yesterday at about 7:30pm to say that her baby boy was born at 3:34pm at 7lb 13oz! She arrived at the hospital just before 2pm to be told that she was already fully dilated (eek!) so she had no time for any pain relief and she said gas and air did nothing for her! She's delighted and he's very cute apparently. She said she thought she was going to die with the pain, but he's gorgeous and totally worth it. She's doing ok, but is exhausted, understandably. His name is Jack.
    I'll keep you up to date if I hear any more! x

8. fantastischfish

She'll be back in the gym in no time.

Congrats Chica. Helo Baby Jack.

9. Guys..I need your help.I am exhausted!I tried out gym..thousand out diet..exercises...Nothing is working out for me.I am tired of trying ...At a final resort I am going for a laparoscopic gastric band surgery at Credit Valley Clinic at Ontario..Am I taking the right step?Have any one heard of this( laparoscopic gastric band surgery) weight loss surgery?

10. Hi Guys,

A few months ago, my friend suggested for me to do a FREE wellness evaluation, which basically gave a breakdown of why we weigh what we do so basically body fat, visceral fat, muscle mass, bone density, water retention, metabolic age, weight, I, etc. I found this really interesting as I was always under the misconception that it was weight I had to lose not body fat and from speaking to a wellness coach who helped me set my goals, they put together a peronalised eating eating plan. Personally, I have always struggled with losing weight but the service the wellness coach provides is about general wellbeing, not just weight loss.

I wanted to share this in case there was anyone out there who also wanted to get a wellness evaluation done as well? The club which does the wellness is based in Hillingdon, London and not only will they do this for free, they also run free fitness classes throughout the week. Definitely worth checking out if you are in the local area or can get there easily. There?s not much out there you can get for free theses days. I am happy to send details if there is anyone out there who wants to give this a go?

11. Hi all, I've recently lost 9lb in 13 days on ActiDiet. recently become an ActiDiet consultant. I've tried most diets but found them not to have enough choice. On this you can have a variety of foods and snack bars as well as supplements. On Facebook I am called "Anna ActiDiet Mansfield Seller". If anyone would like to join that or message me on here and I can tell you more. My shop to order is: www.actidiet.co.uk/me/Anna-Millership/ they also do ready meals for £2.50 each which are lovely (they aren't on my site though so inbox me or join my group and I can let you know what's available). X

12. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Hi

its hubcap, time for the summer slim down!

I am doing the big breakfast, medium lunch and small dinner, nothing after that, wish me luck! (I'll need it!)[​IMG]

13. All the best Hubcap, let me know if you're interested in doing the ActiDiet :)

14. For a free personal training session message me via my website bofitness.co.uk

15. For a free personal training session message me via my website bofitness.co.uk