1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Years Resolution - Lose Weight!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by hubcap, Dec 27, 2007.

1. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Anyone got any good (not lots of ingredients) tea recepies? I will be great up to teatime, then I have a hungry hubby and daughteer to feed. Dishes I can add Salad or veg to. Need to vary as they will get fed up with the same every week.
    My ideas so far;
    Fish
    Chicken
    Plate salad
    Tuna
    Salmon

2. Cant beat pasta with sauce, cheese and some salad!

Love chicken casserole with loads of vegs

Spag bol with bean sproats good too!

3. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Thanks, they dont like pasta, but spag bol, and chicken casserole are great!

4. Spag bol with bean sprouts?!

5. RKM

RKM

Phoenixchild I'm between Dudley and West Midlands as well!!!!

6. I am old "Slimming world" school so rarely mix meat with carbs (although as the year has gone on I have dropped meat more and more).

but if I do have the "bol" of spag bol its with bean sprouts or Tesco do a yummy green leaf salad with beetroot slices. Seems weird but not as filling as with pasta and yum!

I have just made a curry for tea. Loads of vegs and x2 chicken breasts. The sauce is a jar one (I aint that good!) and a serving will be 7g so fine for my main meal. I wont have the chicken as there is potato, sweet corn, carrots and onion and cauli in it too!

I will have a mega plate of this with a small spoon of rice - yum yum yum

The old me would have just made a chicken one (not that there is anything wrong with that) but would have had a portion the size of hubby, 2 naan breads and some onion "bargi's" (sp!).

Yum curry smells gooooodddd!

7. Guys start a power walking group - its fantastic - my groups motto is "Walk and Talk your Way to fitness" and we do both very well!!!

8. I intend to drop two stone of weight from my increasingly globular frame, that my very gorgeous skeleton may begin to define the shape of my body once more.

In other words - bring it on, 2008, I'm going Karen Carpenter on your ass.

Except with pizza. Mmm...pizza.

9. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Does anybody else have a weight that they get stuck at?

I weigh far more than people guess; most estimate around 10 and a half stone, I actually weigh just over 11 and a half! I can get down really easily to about 11 stone 2, just by stepping up my workout at the gym to 3 decent workouts per week, plus just trying to avoid chocolate and crisps, but below that, I just can't do.

Last year, I did weight watchers. I got down to 11st 2lbs with two weeks (from a start weight of 11st 10lbs) just by sticking to my 20 points and exercising a few times a week. But from then on, I would lose half and pound, gain two, lose 1, lose another half, gain half and so on, bouncing around the 11st 2lbs mark on the scales.

Thing is, according to weight watchers, despite the fact that 11st 2lbs seems to be the weight my body is comfortable with, it still classes me a slightly overweight. Plus, I'd prefer to weigh a little less (ideal weight arond 10.7).

How can I get past that barrier?

I want to lose weight in the new year to get down to a weight I'm comfortable with. I just want to be able to buy clothes that I like and have them look good, instead of worrying about my stomach or whatever.

10. Hi Eva

What the WW consultant could have also said is that your body get used to some foods and that in order to lose weight you may have to vary what you eat.

Plan a 4 week menu with different things, cut out spuds and bread and really look at labels (see previous post about labels!)

Keep to well within your GDA of fat of 70g (I try to have just 55 - 60 a day)

And as you already know exercise is the key - try pilates or walking

Good luck

11. See post 39 about fat and how many calories you need to drop to lose weight :)

12. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Old SENCO:
    Being completely honest, I already eat quite well. I eat low fat version of everything, use little or no fat/oil in cooking and eat potatoes/chips very rarely (usually only when eating out, which is about once a month).

I eat LOTS of vegetables and have vegetarians things such as stir-fries around twice a week. I eat little meat or poultry, usually only chicken. I prefer a pasta dish, made with homemade tomato-based sauces, than things like chips, potatoes, meat etc. I rarely get take-aways, buy low fat varieties of everything I can, drink water with every meal and attend the gym about twice a week.

That said, I know that where I fall down is in picking on chocolates and snacks that we always have in the office at work. But even when I discipline myself to stop doing that, I lose the weight easily to get to 11st 2ish, then that's it, everytihng stops.

As I say, I'm well aware of how much fat is acceptable. I check calories and fat content (especially saturated fat) in products before I buy.

I'm at a loss, really.

13. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

I know how you feel Eva. Im disgusted with myself at the moment- really let myself go. However wnen Im good the weight comes off sooooo slowly I get depressed then the pattern begins again!

14. Well, I've got about 9st to loose! Need to be half the woman I am now :(

I've let this creep on over the years and with 2 kids under 4, it's a reall challenge to get time to myself to do any exercise.

It seems that I know all this overeating is really bad for me, but I can't seem to control it.

So count me in on this!

Anyone been to one of the JJB Fitness Centres? What are they like?

15. hermione2001ie

hermione2001ie New commenter

*rolls in*

My name's Hermione and I'm a lard ass. If anyone would like to kick my lardy ass and insentivise (sp?) to get some exercise I'd be very grateful. In fact, the rest of you could use kicking my butt as part of your exercise regimes...everyone's a winner!

16. Hry Guys

Can i join? I lost 3st 4lbs 2 years ago and went from 14st 10 to 11st 7lbs but have went back up to 13st 3 and am now back down to 12st (was on SW).

Ideally for my height (5ft 6) i should be around 9st 12lbs but i just want to get down to 10st 7lbs. I have been a regular exerciser for the past year adn have noticed a significant difference in my body shape but i just cant seem to get the flipping 1st 10lbs i need to off.

I dont want to go back to SW as i need t be able to 'do it' on my own but am seriously lacking in motivation! Hoping things will be back on track when my gym classes resume next thurs - have been going to the gym adn running etc but its just not the same!

HELP!

17. apologies for the awful grammar and typos!

18. I've just been off and joined the gym this afternoon, so I'm all happy and motivated but still fat. Nevermind! All that's going to change this year, with a heck of a lot of determination, and a lot less food (te he!)

Just suppose we have to remember that it's a lifestyle change, for good, not just a temporary fix.

If anyone else out there wants to loose weight then jump on in, the more the merrier.

19. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Ye Ive just done the food shopping. Not a trace of naughty food in there! Told hubby and daughter they will have to use the christmas goodies now.
    Just started hopping at Netto. Anyone else shop there? Any good foodies to be had?

20. Thinking of joining a gym too, the nearest one is Wigan Total Fitness. Will give them a call as I am sure they will be doing offers etc at this time of year.