1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Year Resolutions u wish SMT would make !

Discussion in 'Primary' started by din057, Jan 3, 2011.

1. din057

din057 New commenter

Feeling a bit down about return to duty, cheer up..imagine what resolutions might have been made...please feel free to add any other suggestions.
    1 Headteacher to leave office once a week, after planning own lessons to deliver what the rest of us have to do everyday.
    2 SMT to arrive at school before other staff and leave last.
    3 Keep written record of all agreed changes to agreed practice - agreed by all staff - not just them.
    4 Display above for all to see.
    5 Attempt to distinguish between research and trendy ideas !
    6 Try answering all children's SAt papers themselves.
    7 Try to help out with the burden of marking ! Any More......????

2. din057

din057 New commenter

Feeling a bit down about return to duty, cheer up..imagine what resolutions might have been made...please feel free to add any other suggestions.
    1 Headteacher to leave office once a week, after planning own lessons to deliver what the rest of us have to do everyday.
    2 SMT to arrive at school before other staff and leave last.
    3 Keep written record of all agreed changes to agreed practice - agreed by all staff - not just them.
    4 Display above for all to see.
    5 Attempt to distinguish between research and trendy ideas !
    6 Try answering all children's SAt papers themselves.
    7 Try to help out with the burden of marking ! Any More......????

3. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Don't slt in your school plan and teach? I've yet to work in a primary where they haven't. I've only worked full time in 6 though.

4. To do their fair share of duties
    To allow teachers to take PPA at home
    To teach at least half day a week
    To give positive feedback

5. din057

din057 New commenter

Positive feedback...you mean what what we do with the children all the time ?
    How about simple please and thankyou at appropriate times ?

6. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

To stop nit-picking over pockets of time like 5 mins when all staff are working way more than their allocated hours anyway.

7. Our Head does one day's duty a week, two assemblies a week, teachers take PPA at home and she teaches every day. I'm SMT and I do the same -except I only take one assembly but teach every day!
    And we're both pretty good at positive feedback too[​IMG]

8. xDJ

xDJ

Definitely this one!

9. xDJ

xDJ

opps forgot to add the quote.

10. Our SMT already do 1 and 2, but I REALLY wish they'd do 3 and 4.
    We're not too concerned with 5, in Wales so 6 doesn't apply and 7 would never happen.

11. countrybumpkin

countrybumpkin New commenter

For the Head to interact with the children occasionly.
    For them to plan a training day that doesn't involve more work on our part or that doesn't make us go home ready for job hunting.
    For the head to be involved in break duties, lunch duties, detention duties, bus duties etc and not just us.
    For them to look up and see the exhausted faces around them and actually wonder why that might be.

12. Apart from the teaching, that was how it was at my school especially the positive feedback. Feel really sad that there are colleagues who are so unhappy with their leadership team. [​IMG]

13. Only go in for new initiatives that either:
    Make the job easier for teachers
    Actually improve the children's education.

But with a new government....fat chance.

14. Glad to see you are feeling so positive for the New Year,

15. dc521

dc521 New commenter

This is one for a previous head:
    To boot the lazy deputy up the backside and make sure she arrives at work before the children arrive.

For a previous Key Stage leader:
    To develop some (any) range in your voice. It's a tad dull.

16. din057

din057 New commenter

Actually all I was trying to do was have a laugh, surely most people in the world of employment enjoy a *** about their bosses...I got it for a while...used to walk around with target on my back ! Interesting how some SMT people have had to defend themselves. I know there are many caring, successful teams out there.....but relax people!
    Not using the only street parking permit for themselves.
    Joining in the joy of cleaning up accidents in the toilets.
    Removing shoes and other items of clothing from roof.
    Promising to learn terms such as "Chunking, Complex Sentences, Percentages, unless applied to SATs.
    Allowing staff own choice of seats at Christmas Do !!!.......Anyone there ?

17. Do you go to my school or are many Senior Managers like that? In my school, which I think is unusual, we have no Senior Managers who are at all intellectual; I would say a couple of them are not stupid but none of them reads books or speaks a second language or questions the validity of modern trends...No, not quite true, one of them does, but that one is out on a limb and liked by most staff

18. manic28

manic28 New commenter

Any jobs going Jackie?!

19. My own suggestions would be to stop setting data targets for everyone - staff and students. Trust your teachers to act professionally and, when you hear the word data, don't think of numbers, % and progress, but think of children, cognition, barriers to learning and dialogue about how to overcome them. Campaign to scrap OfSTED as a superfluous and finger-pointing imposition on hat teachers do already. Likewise for League Tables. Read about education in Finland and ask yourself how they achieve higher scores on all OECD tests compared to the Uk (and most of the rest of the world for that matter) yet configure their education system in such a way that means teaching is the most popular job in the country. Reduce teaching time so teachers can increasingly become reflective practitioners and students can reflect more on what they do.

20. perhaps some staff should make a resolution to spare a thought for the headteacher's own workload without expecting them to do their job and ours too. Every head has been there and done it for many years. The pressures may be different but they ARE pressures and they ARE hard work - try cutting the head a bit of slack and giving them some support as your resolution.