1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

new year resolutions how did we do?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by grandelf, Dec 14, 2011.

1. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

At the end of every year this place (and lots of others) seem to be flooded with the new year resolutions of 'lose weight, be more time smart, stop/cut down on the drink/drugs/rock'n'roll.

So just thought I'd ask, did we manage to stick to what we wanted or did it slip away?

Mine was simple - to leave the year fitter and healthier than I started. So yes I'd say I have made great strides in doing so.
    • Lost close to 5 stone in total this year
    • Quit a job that was making me mentally and physical ill
    • survived another year living with someone!
    • I'm proved my cooking skills which has helped with the healthy side of things
    • Done a few cooking classes to help expand my mental skills.

2. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

At the end of every year this place (and lots of others) seem to be flooded with the new year resolutions of 'lose weight, be more time smart, stop/cut down on the drink/drugs/rock'n'roll.

So just thought I'd ask, did we manage to stick to what we wanted or did it slip away?

Mine was simple - to leave the year fitter and healthier than I started. So yes I'd say I have made great strides in doing so.
    • Lost close to 5 stone in total this year
    • Quit a job that was making me mentally and physical ill
    • survived another year living with someone!
    • I'm proved my cooking skills which has helped with the healthy side of things
    • Done a few cooking classes to help expand my mental skills.

3. Well done! i didn't make any resolutions, but I'm very impressed with your achievements.

4. joli2

joli2 New commenter

Well done Grandelf. I don't usually make resolutions, but I have had a tough year, so maybe this year mine should be to enjoy myself.

Pass the mince pies and sherry.

5. Hear hear, Joli.

6. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

My new year's resolution was to have more fun! Was so fed up of not going out and 'doing'.
    So I've
    • joined the National Trust and visited places of interest
    • been to the cinema several times
    • seen Swan Lake - English National Ballet and am going to The Nutcracker tomorrow!
    • been to a couple of live concerts in London - jazz and classical
    • been to see a couple of plays in the West End
    • and had a luxury 5 star break in Berlin!
    I've had lots of fun! [​IMG]

7. My New Year's Resolution was not to drink any more. And I have succeeded!

In fact I may even have drunk a little less over the year.

8. I've already made one for 2012 - s0d Ofsted.

9. Resolution: Loose weight.
    On-off success. End result is I'm a dress size above how I started the year. Darn it. 0 points.
    Resolution: Get finances in order.
    Oh dear. But I no longer binge-shop. I can't afford to, frankly, but it's a step. Still, 0 points.
    Resolution: Do not get heart smashed into pieces.
    Epic fail. Minus a million points. But redeemed with a mid-year resolution of singledom, which has been one of the best moves I've made in a while! 0 points.
    Resolution: Get onto a PGCE course.
    Done. A minor hiccup with the bursary and looking like I couldn't go but am a term in and getting good reports. 1 point.
    Resolution: Kick the caffeine habit.
    On-off success. No longer reliant daily but welcomed when the workload gets heavy or I've missed sleep the night before. 1/2 point.
    So... 30% success rate. Oh dear...

10. bfudge69

bfudge69 New commenter

I may steal that gag at some point [​IMG]

11. You've had a great year Elfie. Lots of determination there. Well done!
    I long ago stopped making resolutions. They were wishes, dreams, hopes and I didn't have the resolve to stick to the important 'lose weight' promise I made to myself.
    However, I have been a worrier for so long that now my only resolution for quite a number of years has been 'live for the day' and not to hope my life away or to be looking to the future too much. It is what it is...and perhaps all I want to do now is to make the most of each day....or perhaps to even squeeze the life out of it and make each one as good as possible. [​IMG]
    What did Lennon say....? *looks it up*
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
    Best resolution imo is to go with the flow and try to look for the good in any situation if you possibly can, although I know some of our troubles and woes can't be swept under the carpet. For bad times "This too shall pass" seems to work for me.
    Sic transit gloria mundi etc.

12. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

To be healthy and lose weight. I finally got round to starting on this in September and have lost a stone and a half.

13. I can only echo what Arched Eyebrow wrote about living for the day.
    I decided to start a personal project/hobby which many people leave for their retirement and never get around to.
    So far its going well and I'm glad I carpe'd the diem.