1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Year plans?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by perky_panda, Dec 31, 2011.

1. I went up to London today to see a show and when we left it was starting to get really packed - I guess with people eating and then watching the fireworks etc. I don't ever really do anything for NYE but am now feeling very sad that I am going to be sitting in watching Poirot (recorded from boxing day, any good?) whilst others celebrate. Shall probably be in bed by 11. What are your plans?

2. I shall be watching telly, pottering about a bit and may manage to stay awake for the fireworks (on tv, can't bear the crowds at the real thing).

3. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

*** all - fancied a night watching TV but there seems to be nothing on worth watching. May have to eat every single chocolate in the house and drink all the alcohol.

4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Sounds like a really good plan, PM

5. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I'm sat at home on my own drinking some malibu's and watching the cube. I'm the only person on my friends logged into facebook... Oh dear. I just know I wouldn't have enjoyed myself in the pub and will be seeing in the new year on my own on the sofa or in bed depending how bored I get I guess!

6. The tv this year is rubbish, hence the poirot. They know people arent going out as much and yet they put nothing on tv at all.

7. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Nothing.

Why is it different from any other night?

8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I really hope none of you are stressed about this. I got numerous invites, honestly, can't be ***** with any of them . . . . . Mr K is away out . . . . he doesn't drink so he can drive himself home. . . . . meanwhile back on the ranch . . . .I'm getting there ([​IMG]) and the a'hole neighbours have already had a wee taste as to how loud it can go . . . . .oh yesh, ya funkers!!!!!!!! It's pay back time for some people . . . .then again, maybe it's not . . . . I forgot I was wearing headphones. . . . . . . .I can't hear you, what?

9. catmother

catmother Star commenter

This is the exact conversation I was having with my husband. There have been decent programmes all last week and there are a fair few good programmes coming on in the next few days,therefore why can't they have something good tonight. That Morse prequel ITV has got in a few days would have done fine,it's hardly as if the people who are out partying tonight would want to see it!
    In the meantime,we are watching Trading Places. Always worth a watch!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I am puzzling over why they are screening so much Morecambe and Wise because it just isn't funny any more.

11. Yeah they have as good things on all week except today and tomorrow. Had no invites, never do but haven't got a huge circle of friends especially near me. Don't really mind, poirot isn't too bad actually

12. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Yes,I've noticed that. I was not living in Britain when they were big,therefore I quite enjoy watching a bit of it but it seems to have been on for days on BBC2!

13. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

1. Target audience: My Dad
    2. Price: Dirt cheap.

14. I'm staying in with OH, eating snacks, drinking, possibly playing scrabble and watching Jools Holland...its usually very good.
    Can't be bothered with the over priced drinks, crowds and drunken idiots throwing up all over the place..Might aswell face it, I'm just OLD. Happy new year everyone [​IMG]

15. perky panda, i'm dead jealous - i didn't record poirot and it's not available on itv player!
    the boys are watching motd, which is why i'm on here - but i have just ordered some dresses off ebay, and i am on my second glass of champagne, so why should i worry

16. watching Most Annoying People 2011 on BBC3
    Wow, there have been some annoying people about this year!
    I predict next year will be just as bad...
    oh, wrong thread!

17. Poirot was ok, almost fell asleep at the end, now watching it'll be alight on the night, otherwise I will just get to sleep and the fireworks will wake me

18. We usually watch the most annoying people, but have managed to miss it this year. (bbc three repeat it a lot)

19. Currently watching avatar, with partner and 11 year old. Then we will watch the hootenanny and fireworks.

20. Spent the afternoon and evening with friends, met (and fell in love with) their son (he's 3 months old; I moved away just before he was born. I'm not normally a baby person but he's so adorable! A proper little person!) Walked, talked, ate Indian food, watched Buffy. Came home to dog and cat, had a bath and read some of my current book ("Room"- very good) and am now browsing the internet whilst watching The Big Bang Theory. Frankly, this new year and last new year (same friends, playing board games and lighting indoor sparklers) were the two best I've had- after years of standing around in the backyard of someone I didn't really know whilst my then-boyfriend ran around lighting fireworks, or parties where everyone gets vilely drunk to loud conversation-killing music, it's so lovely to have a nice, simple new year. Bliss! :D