1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Year, New Start :)

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by lily_w, Jan 16, 2012.

1. lily_w

lily_w New commenter

Just thought I'd update and share a few of my hopes (and worries!) I finished my PGCE in July and have been unsuccessfully trying to get a job since then. Was close to giving up by about December. However, I've decided that it's a new year and a new start and this could be my time to finally get a job. I love teaching and I know I have a lot to offer so I'm hoping this is my year, got to stay positive. I'm a little worried as I'm aware the new NQTs are starting to look for jobs and I'm concerned I will seem unattractive to Headteachers as I haven't been in the classroom since my final placement (have not done supply either) but I know I can still do it and I hope someone will give me a chance. Fingers crossed and hopefully my lack of recent experience won't put people off :)

2. lily_w

lily_w New commenter

Just thought I'd update and share a few of my hopes (and worries!) I finished my PGCE in July and have been unsuccessfully trying to get a job since then. Was close to giving up by about December. However, I've decided that it's a new year and a new start and this could be my time to finally get a job. I love teaching and I know I have a lot to offer so I'm hoping this is my year, got to stay positive. I'm a little worried as I'm aware the new NQTs are starting to look for jobs and I'm concerned I will seem unattractive to Headteachers as I haven't been in the classroom since my final placement (have not done supply either) but I know I can still do it and I hope someone will give me a chance. Fingers crossed and hopefully my lack of recent experience won't put people off :)

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

It might be worth trying to see if you can get into a classroom.
    I'm back on general supply trying to establish myself again after a long term sickness post last June/July. I haven't had any work since July and have been unable to drive after surgery so haven't been in a classroom (apart from a couple of interviews) since. I've been contacting Heads to try to do some voluntary work and ven they're querying my 'non-contact with the classsroom'!

4. Geoteach0027

Geoteach0027 New commenter

Im much in the same boat! Had one day of supply since September and really at a loss as to what to do. I have got a job working in a supermarket and am getting increasingly tempted to work their fulltime and stop hunting for any teaching work for the moment as its just leaving me really disheartend.

5. I graduated in July '11 as well and it worries me that I have no recent classroom experience. I'm signed up with agencies and nothing so far. Keep ringing them and everything. Done the whole writing letters to schools about supply/volunteer work and that has proved fruitless. Same goes for TA's positions - Had a handful of interviews and still nothing.
    I started many months ago applying for non-school based roles, but still...nothing either. It's very frustrating.I do volunteer work for a local charity which keeps me busy a coiple of times a week. I volunteered with this charity throughout my degree and then obviously not so much during my PGCE, so they are very grateful for my time. Only thing I can think of now is to volunteer for the Scouts/Brownies etc on the evenings.
    Good luck with everything and stay positive! :)

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

We could be changing this title to:
    New Year - New Star!
    I'm getting ready to pin those stars up for people getting jobs.
    Best wishes.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars