1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Year, New Hobby.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lilachardy, Dec 12, 2015.

1. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I came up with this 'resolution' last year (because I don't make resolutions only at new year...), and decided that I needed a new hobby for the new year.

Geocaching has taken me to many amazing places I'd not normally have been. I know it's "Using multi-billion pound technology to find Tupperware in the woods"... it's also an excuse for a walk, a reason to go and see what's down that path I've passed a hundred times, a reason to plan holidays in places we'd never consider, a geology lesson, a way to make friends and so many more things.

So now new year is approaching again, and I need another hobby for when it's too wet, too windy or too dark to 'cache.
    Any suggestions?

2. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Programming for fun?

3. Findlotte

Findlotte Established commenter

Cross a few things off the bucket list? Hot air balloon ride? Travel?
    Programming is a good idea there are loads of websites that teach you in a gamified way - it's not very healthy though.
    Get involved in a new sport/activity - yoga? fencing? badminton? pottery?

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Baking bread. Interesting and with tasty results!

5. Effiepie

Effiepie New commenter

Wood turning.
    Join a choir. Or a book club.
    Is there a local history society near you? Or an environmental group?

6. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I like the idea of a new hobby for a new year! I started stamp collecting last year, and am considering swimming as a new thing for this year.

7. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Photography. You can achieve amazing things with a simple compact camera and there are some excellent free alternatives to photoshop. Once you've bought the camera and a memory card, it's free. (And another reason to go for nice walks and to visit new places.)

8. Grabthar

Grabthar Established commenter

Just think, if you had a trillionth of the business acumen of Donald Trump, you could buy some nice equipment instead of relying on the cheap and the free. Just think of the new places you could visit...in style! Oh, but that's not you...is it? It never will be! LOL!

9. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Because money's not my motivation, grabthar, and the best things in life are free.

lilachardy and InkyP like this.
  10. lilachardy

Programming is fun... it's what I teach!
    Photography - yes, good idea. But I really need something for indoors on wet days... I know the digital manipulation part is indoor. I think I'd like something away from the computer.

Maybe I should go back to a craft of years gone by... but something we do together would be better.

Hmm

Thanks for all ideas.

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I mis-read this every time I see it.

New Year, new hubby.

;)

Best wishes

12. lilachardy

Not got one!

13. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Oh I thought you were a maths teacher.

Well change to C sharp? Really fun :)

14. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Learn a musical instrument? Something crafty?

I play a lot of instruments and always enjoy the challenge of new ones. I also love to craft, so knitting, cross-stitch, spinning wool and, most recently, sewing.

I started three new massive hobbies this year, so nothing new next year, please!

15. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

#lifegoals

16. lilachardy

You're right, I should take up my instruments again. I've let that slide, and it is something I enjoy a lot.

Oh I am.... but also head of ICT.